Change to CTRL-Click de-selection behaviour

Started by Ferdinand, December 08, 2015, 08:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferdinand

This FR is a continuation of https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=4960.msg34443#msg34443

In Imatch 5, if I select an image in the file window, SHFT-click four images later so that five images are selected, and then CTRL-click on the middle one to deselect it, the image is still selected, i.e. it's not deselected.

It appears like if might be deselected, as the image background colour has changed, but it still has the yellow border, indicating that it has focus.  The information bar at the top of the file window still shows five files as selected.  Any operations that I perform on these images will apply to all five images.

The image is in some twilight zone, appearing not to be selected, but in reality it still is.  So it's not clear to me what effect the CTRL-click has had. 

To really deselect it, I have to CTRL-Click on one of the other four.  Which at last finally deselects the middle image, but puts the one that I just click on into the same twilight zone.  So I have to CTRL-Click it again to ensure that it is unambiguously selected.  So three CTRL-Clicks to deselect one image.

Quote from: Mario on December 06, 2015, 02:53:58 PM
I've just revamped the selection code for the 5.5 to allow for multiple selections similar to Windows Explorer.
Changing the behavior for the focused file is possible, but again quite some work and breaks with how IMatch behaved since 2003.

This behaviour not only inefficient, it is quite different to Windows Explorer.  In fact it's different to every other Windows application that I can recall using.

And it's simply not true that this is how IMatch has behaved since 2003.  I just opened 3.6.0.118 (for the first time in a long time) and checked, and it behaves exactly like Windows Explorer and differently to IMatch 5.

This is not the first time I've mentioned this, far from it.  When you foreshadowed changes to selection behaviour in 5.5 to bring it in line with Windows Explorer, I assumed this would be included. 

I request standard Windows behaviour for CTRL-Click deselect.

sinus

For me personally this behaviour from IMatch is a bit irritating.
I do it exactly like Ferdinand wrote: if I have a selection and want deselect one, then I Ctrl Click on it, then click on another and click again on this other. 3 clicks, true.

But for me this is not a big problem, it is a matter of habits.

Nevertheless, if I had the choice, I would choose the normal behaviour, because it is simply easier. That is why I liked this FR from Ferdinand.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

DigPeter

I have become used to this behaviour, but it would be much better to have it as in other applications.  I have "liked".

Panther

I liked this one too - I haven't really noticed this behavior difference before, which now has me worried that I may have wound up screwing up some of my image entries by doing things to images I thought were deselected and not noticing that the changes were still being made to them anyway.

Definitely seems like the selection/deselection behavior in iMatch should be the same as normal Windows behavior for this.

ColinIM

Unlike DigPeter in his earlier reply above, I have not been able to accustom myself to this selection behaviour.

To me it is a recurring barrier to the 'fluid' use that I am aiming to achieve with IMatch.

I would love to be able to de-select an image unambiguously with just one mouse-click!

Ferdinand

Quote from: Panther on December 08, 2015, 08:24:00 PM... which now has me worried that I may have wound up screwing up some of my image entries by doing things to images I thought were deselected and not noticing that the changes were still being made to them anyway.

This is the critical point for me.  Not only is this behaviour less efficient and frustrating, there is the risk of invalid metadata because either you didn't know about it or were in a hurry and forgot.

Carlo Didier

This has been annoying me since long. I still have lots of images assigned to the wrong categories because of this, let's say "unexpected", behavior ...

Mario

Selection behavior changed for the next release.
The focused file is now only considered by commands when it is actually selected.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ferdinand

Thank you.  Although to be fully consistent with other Windows applications, CTRL-clicking on a selected file should totally deselect it, i.e. it no longer has focus.

Mario

Ctrl+click toggles the selection state for individual files in the file window. Similar to Windows Explorer, for example. Windows 10. I don't remember how this way in W7 but I think it's the same.

The produce a situation where no file is foused or selected, just click somewhere outside a thumbnail panel.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ferdinand

I checked W7 and my W10 VM and I see what you mean.  Thanks again.  I really appreciate this one.

ColinIM

Quote from: Mario on January 09, 2016, 10:24:32 AM
(....) The focused file is now only considered by commands when it is actually selected.

Superb! Thank you Mario!  :)