Category Export XML filestructure

Started by BenAW, August 03, 2013, 03:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenAW

Could you confirm that the structure of the XML file that holds the exported categories is finalised?
If yes this would make it possible to assign categories in IM5 in a much more user-friendly way, and save them even when the dbase structure changes or the dbase gets corrupted due to testing.
I suppose a lot of testers would do more testing in this area IF they can be assured that the category assignments will be kept  8)

Richard

I will add to that inquiry by asking if category assignments made in IMatch 5 can be safely exported and then imported into IMatch 3.6.

Mario

Nothing is finalized until the Beta is over. Or after  :o

The XML structure used as the native import/export format for IMatch 5 categorizes is stable for quite a while now. Even when I add new features to categories, they will just be added to the format. A bug, however, may cause breaking change in the file format. But that's unlikely.

QuoteIf yes this would make it possible to assign categories in IM5 in a much more user-friendly way

Not sure if I can follow you here  :-[ Why would it be more user friendly if the category export/import works?
I will try to keep the databases upward compatible between beta versions so you will be able to reuse your database with never builds anyway.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

Quote from: Richard on August 03, 2013, 03:54:33 PM
I will add to that inquiry by asking if category assignments made in IMatch 5 can be safely exported and then imported into IMatch 3.6.

I don't plan to make categories exportable in IMatch 3 format. IMatch 5 can import IMatch 3 category schemata, but not export IMatch 3 format.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Richard

QuoteWhy would it be more user friendly if the category export/import works?

From my point of view, IMatch 5 is more user friendly for category assignments but if a user spends a lot of time doing category assignments in IMatch 5, they would feel safer knowing that those results can be exported and then imported if a new database in required. In general I believe that most testers would like to secure as much of their work as possible so that they can keep building on work done in prior versions.

QuoteI don't plan to make categories exportable in IMatch 3 format.

I was hoping it could be done but if it is not practical then I will work in IMatch 3.6 even though I would prefer to work in IMatch 5.

Mario

The category export/import worked for a very long time now  - actually I made quite sure that it does during the time we had to re-create databases often. I have large category sets which I always need to import for testing purposes.

Implementing a category export in IMatch 3 format for IMatch 5 would not be very useful. I don't expect users to downgrade to IMatch 3 once they have worked with IMatch 5  :D :-[
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Richard

QuoteI don't expect users to downgrade to IMatch 3
I would not expect that to happen. I was thinking in terms of using both during the beta testing. Other than that the only reason I can see for being able to export categories for use in IMatch 3 would be for an IMatch 5 user working with an IMatch 3 user who is either to cheap to spend a few bucks or is totally satisfied with the version used.

BenAW

Quote from: Mario on August 03, 2013, 06:35:39 PM
Nothing is finalized until the Beta is over. Or after  :o

The XML structure used as the native import/export format for IMatch 5 categorizes is stable for quite a while now. Even when I add new features to categories, they will just be added to the format. A bug, however, may cause breaking change in the file format. But that's unlikely.

QuoteIf yes this would make it possible to assign categories in IM5 in a much more user-friendly way

Not sure if I can follow you here  :-[ Why would it be more user friendly if the category export/import works?
I will try to keep the databases upward compatible between beta versions so you will be able to reuse your database with never builds anyway.
I mean that the assigning of categories in IM5 is much more user friendly than in IM3. I like to assign categories to new images in IM5, fully expecting the dbase to become obsolete or corrupted during testing, BUT if the XML cat export file remains the same I can "save" my category assignments and work in IM5 exclusively.

I have no interest in transferring category assignments from IM5 to IM3 whatsoever.

Mario

For implementing such an export feature I would schedule about 12-16 work hours.  I don't think this will be worth it just that cheap Al  can continue using IMatch 3  :D If IMatch 5 will be pirated as often as IMatch 3, cheap Al will get his copy of IMatch 5 anyway...  :-X
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

BenAW

Quote from: Richard on August 03, 2013, 03:54:33 PM
Next time you have a feature request pse start a new thread iso hijacking an unrelated thread.
Obviously causes confusion.

Richard

Sorry. I didn't expect that you would get confused.

Richard

Quotecheap Al will get his copy of IMatch 5

No, they are too honest to do that but some may be more than happy with what they have and will not invest in an upgrade.

BenAW

Quote from: Mario on August 03, 2013, 07:19:52 PM
The category export/import worked for a very long time now  - actually I made quite sure that it does during the time we had to re-create databases often. I have large category sets which I always need to import for testing purposes.
This is the reason for my request. Disregard the IM5 => IM3 transfer nonsense. I just ask your assurance that the XML format in use for the IM5 category export won't change, so testers can do actual work assigning categories, and have their work saved in the XML export file, even when the dbase format changes, or the dbase crashes. This makes testing the category functions much more rewarding and useful, and will stimulate testers to do more testing imo  :)

Mario

QuoteI just ask your assurance that the XML format in (...)

See my initial reply to your request regarding stability of this feature and conditions which may require breaking changes.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator