Adjust the delay before Auto-hide panels are unhidden

Started by DavidOfMA, January 03, 2016, 10:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidOfMA

I love the autohide feature and use it for all my main panels except Favorites, but I find that I'm constantly accidentally triggering various auto-hide panels to be displayed, then having to move the mouse to dismiss them. it would be helpful to be able to set the delay between the time the mouse hovers over the panel and when it's displayed. Right now, it seems to be instantaneous, which might be fine for some people but is apparently too fast for me.

David

Mario

We actually lowered that limit per public request some versions ago. If you have problems with that, consider closing the panels instead of setting them to auto-hide.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DavidOfMA

Autohide works for me much better than closed panels. It's just too quick for my work style. I killed the Desktop AeroPeek for the same reason. Different people have different preferences, I guess. It would be nice to be able to customize this, even if with a Registry setting.

David

Mario

Have you tried setting E > P > Application: User Interface: Fast auto-hide panels to "No"? This may impact also the delay when showing panels. It's all managed by a 3rd party user interface library, code I'd rather not dig in to implement what you are requesting. No likes so far as well.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DavidOfMA

I hadn't noticed that setting. I'll try it and see if it cuts down on the accidental display of autohide panels. Thanks.

David

DavidOfMA

I don't notice much difference with the Fast autohide set to "No," but I do see that there is a short delay between when the cursor touches a hidden panel and when it gets displayed. Would still be nice to control the delay, but I'm probably in a small minority of users who have an issue with it.

David

Ferdinand

I don't have a problem with the speed of auto-hide for a panel that I haven't clicked on.  I can keep it displayed by hovering the mouse over it.  My issue has always been that if I auto-unhide a panel, then click on it and do something in it, it's slow to rehide.  Actually, it doesn't auto-hide again until I click on another part of IMatch.  This is a small point, but annoying.  I think Mario has said in the past that this aspect of IMatch behaviour comes from the UI toolkit he uses, and so is hard to change or provide more control over.

Like David, I don't see a lot of difference when I change that preferences setting, which I confess I had forgotten about.

Mario

This setting controls how fast the panels hide. It has been added by popular demand some versions ago. The behavior of the panels is controlled by the UI toolkit. A auto-hide panel closes when another panel gets the focus.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

DavidOfMA

I agree with Ferdinand that it's annoying, though no big deal once you get used to it, to have to change the focus in order to re-hide an auto-hidden panel that you've clicked on to make it sticky. It seems more natural to just click on the tab again to re-hide it. But, if this can't be changed then it can't be changed.

Ferdinand

For the record, the reason that changing that preference setting back and forth didn't seem to have any impact was that I didn't restart IMatch after each change.  Once I did that then I could see the difference, although on my system it's still a fairly subtle difference.

Quote from: DavidOfMA on January 07, 2016, 02:58:07 PM
I agree with Ferdinand that it's annoying, though no big deal once you get used to it, to have to change the focus in order to re-hide an auto-hidden panel that you've clicked on to make it sticky. It seems more natural to just click on the tab again to re-hide it. But, if this can't be changed then it can't be changed.

+1