IMatch 5 won't uninstall / install / repair

Started by Briguy5410, January 12, 2016, 06:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Briguy5410

I had a virus that has corrupted some of the files for IMatch so I went to uninstall IMatch so I could reinstall but it won't uninstall. During the uninstall it reported an error that it didn't have access to a folder. The folder reported was garbage. The only option was to cancel out. So I tried to just reinstall but that also fails with the same error message. My understanding is that during the install it checks if there is a version already installed and then tries to uninstall before installing. Since the uninstall fails the install also fails.
Now that I have removed the virus (two days of struggle) everything seems to be working correctly except IMatch still fails to install. Is the a way to make the install run with out trying to uninstall first? Basically over write the existing files. The install would have to NOT recognize there was a previous installed version, but I don't know how it recognizes a previous version was installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is on a Windows 7 64.

Mario

You get which error message, exactly?
The folder is named how?

You can run the IMatch installer from the command line and let it produce a log file. This log file should give details about the problem Windows Installer is having.

1. Press <Windows>+<X> and select "Command Promot (Admin)"
2. Use the cd command to change into the folder where the IMatch installer is located.
3. Create a folder "log" in the root of the C: drive or somewhere else
3. Enter the following command

imatch_5_6_4.exe  /s /f2"C:\log\imatch.log"

(Replace the folder "c:\log\" with whatever folder you choose)

After the install failed, the c:\log\imatch.log file should exist and contain data. ZIP and attach here. Maybe this tells us what is corrupted.

Also: If you had a virus, many things may be affected. If you did not do the proper thing and wiped the disk and re-installed Windows, many things may still be lurking in your system.

You should run (from a command prompt with Admin privielegs)

sfc /scannow

which is the Windows system file checker.

Your installer database may be corrupted. Follow the steps described in this Microsoft article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/907749

to check and repair it.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Briguy5410

Just to let you know the log file did not get created and running sfc did not find any problems. I finally gave up and wiped the hard drive and reinstalled Win 7 from scratch. Now it is back to normal. I should have done that from the start and saved myself 2 days of frustration.

Mario

Any specific reason why you did not install Windows 10 while being at it?
Windows 7 is getting pretty old by now and it's becoming harder to keep up support for it.
3rd party toolkit vendors have already announced to stop supporting Windows 7 soon etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook