Stop database diagnostics when restoring from Pack & Go

Started by DigPeter, January 12, 2016, 07:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigPeter

When restoring from P&G, database diagnostics runs automatically.    I cannot recall whether this was always the case, but I think it was introduced with one of the recent updates.  This takes a long time.  Could this please be withdrawn, or made optional.  It should be a user decision, which is best made during normal usage.

Mario

This operation is not an 'IMatch' diagnosis, it's an integrity check that is run by the database system. This is the to ensure that the restored database is in pristine working condition and that there are no corruptions in the database structure itself. P & Go runs this automatically.

Its is not that slow. How large is your database, how long does this step take and on which kind of medium is the database stored?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DigPeter

Quote from: Mario on January 12, 2016, 08:30:48 PM
Its is not that slow. How large is your database, how long does this step take and on which kind of medium is the database stored?
I have not timed it, but will do so the next time.  It seemed to get to the end, but went on for so long,that I aborted.

It is restored onto my mobile laptop, where the database is held on the C, internal HDD, with image files held on the C drive and an external HDD.

jch2103

Quote from: DigPeter on January 12, 2016, 09:21:18 PM
... with image files held on the C drive and an external HDD.
That may be a significant part of the issue. I assume it's a USB 2 external HDD. In combination with a laptop HDD, there's likely a lot of latency involved with data transfers.
John

Mario

Quote from: Mario on January 12, 2016, 08:30:48 PM
I have not timed it, but will do so the next time.  It seemed to get to the end, but went on for so long,that I aborted.

It is restored onto my mobile laptop, where the database is held on the C, internal HDD, with image files held on the C drive and an external HDD.

The log file contains the time, no need to stop it manually.
For a 200,000 files database on a SSD the integrity check takes between 1 and 2 minutes.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DigPeter

Quote from: jch2103 on January 12, 2016, 09:33:02 PM
... with image files held on the C drive and an external HDD.
That may be a significant part of the issue. I assume it's a USB 2 external HDD. In combination with a laptop HDD, there's likely a lot of latency involved with data transfers.
No - USB3.  But I wonder whether this is involved with restore - the database is held on the internal HDD.

DigPeter

Quote from: Mario on January 12, 2016, 10:06:18 PM
The log file contains the time, no need to stop it manually.
For a 200,000 files database on a SSD the integrity check takes between 1 and 2 minutes.
I attach the log files.  I have only about 50,000 files.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

Hrd disks in mobile computers are designed for low-power consumption, not for speed. Your external hard disk is not involved. It would probably faster than the internal disk, though.

The database system basically opens the database and then checks each index and management entry, checks that every piece of information is where it belongs and in the right shape. When the integrity check completes without error, the database is in good shape and the pack & restore worked flawlessly.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

16 Minutes for the analysis? That's ridiculous.

I've made a check with a 50,000 files database (1.4 GB total size).
I used a SDD. The runtime for the analysis was 5 seconds. On a regular hard disk, it was 20 seconds.

Do you run a virus checker on your notebook? Did you make an exception for the folder containing the database?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

DigPeter

Quote from: Mario on January 13, 2016, 01:25:12 PM
16 Minutes for the analysis? That's ridiculous.
Do you run a virus checker on your notebook? Did you make an exception for the folder containing the database?
Program files photools folder AVG exceptions made for Resident Shield and Scan, but not for identity protection.  Should exception be made for the data files?

If the analysis was completed in 16 minutes, why did did restore continue to run till I aborted?

Mario

QuoteShould exception be made for the data files

Always make an exception for the folder containing your database (and all files within). An on-access virus scanner can affect performance badly.

The analysis cannot be interrupted, IMatch reacted on your 'Cancel' request as soon as possible.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

DigPeter

Thank you, Mario.  I will make exception of the database in due course and see what happens.