ICLOUD (Apple Iphones) Filename Convention and IMATCH

Started by kiwilink, January 13, 2016, 07:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwilink

If you have an Iphone and you have created a shared library to share with family members you have probably run into this issue.  I have attached a screen capture of the filename that Apple uses when you take a picture (which is stored as IMG_2420 on your phone) and becomes 01d831dc43c2586f7a7c33dc5c52ffd0f0bf641631.jpg after it is uploaded to a shared library.  I just brought in about 800 images into IMATCH.  I'm thinking about renaming these images using IMATCH batch rename unless its better to keep them with this name as I continue to save these weekly.

I'm looking to see if anyone has run into this and how they handled the situation.  I have customized IMATCH so I write the filename and several other tags over the top of the thumbnail so the large filename is not practical.  Also, maybe I should use IMATCH to read the date from the Metadata and create a date-time filename.

Let me know any ideas you have.  Thanks!

Mike

[attachment deleted by admin]

jch2103

I don't have any direct experience with this, but I was recently given a download of photos from iCloud that I'd been trying to get from the owner. I don't know how she did it, but the photos had the original file names (all from a Nikon DSLR). So I suspect there must be some option for downloading original photos (including original name).

However, there was still an issue: iCloud apparently stripped some of the Nikon EXIF maker notes somewhere along the line. As a consequence, DxO wasn't able to interpret the lens correction information. I don't know why Apple (and others) insist on doing this kind of metadata tampering.
John

Mario

Maker notes are proprietary and often contain physical offsets to data in the original file. Keeping them when the file is changed in any way is dangerous, because the addresses may point to the wrong data or even 'outside' the file. And this will corrupt, break and probably crash applications which try to understand that data (e.g. ExifTool). This explains why many applications strip them. Or remove all metadata, while being at it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kiwilink

I called Apple and asked them why they renamed the images when they are put into the shared library on the ICloud.  They said it was to ensure that the images were unique between sharing phones.  I also asked them why they changed the videos from .Mov files to .MP4 and they said they would have to research this and get back to me.  If I could get the Iphones from my family members I would just plug them in and download the pictures but as I mentioned, they live in different states.  I've attached a screenshot of what the files look like in the ICLOUD when you share them.

I also asked them why they removed the date for all of the videos and they did not know why.  I was able to find the date using IMATCH by using the tag "Quicktime::MediaHeader\MediaCreateDate"

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

<satire on>
You are now in the Apple zone, citizen. Apple decides for you.

Apple creates a globally unique file name using a GUID and then renames your files. I don't think there are options to prevent that. That as a reminder for all users who put in efforts to make their file names informative.

That Apple also removes or changes metadata in your files, or even forcefully converts your MOV files into the Apple MP4 format is just part of the Apple experience.

Don't bother yourself with such technical issues, citizen. Apple knows best.
</satire off>
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kiwilink

Mario:

Your right.  I'm a little disappointed in what they are doing with my pictures and my videos when I share them and they go into the shared libraries!

Mike