Easy way to copy categories from many jpgs to the RAW-Version?

Started by RainerG, January 16, 2016, 02:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RainerG

I have made my newsealandpics from 2013 in RAW (.CR2) and JPG. But i only worked previosly with the JPGs in iMatch (don't aks me why ;-). I have set many categories to the JPGs. Now i will work with the RAWs (converted in DNG).

Is there a easy and quickly way to copy the categories from JPGs to the DNGs?
The names are the same. For example --> 2013-03-01-170000-01.jpg and 2013-03-01-170000-01.dng
RainerGausH
www.BunteReisebilder.de

Mario

File Relations should allow you to do this.

Make CR2 the version and JPEG the master. Then propagate.
Then either keep it that way or remove the file relation rule again.

NOTE: Make a backup copy of your database before. Try on copies on your images until you know that you have the settings right.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

clpratt

I have CR2 files and derived JPGs.
When I allocate categories to the CR2 files the categories are automatically propogated to the JPGs as my File Relations definition dictates.
But if I accidentally select the JPG and allocate categories to it they are not propogated to the CR2 so I get a mismatch of data which I don't always realise.
Could I also create a Master/Version from JPG to CR2 to ensure both stay in sync or would this cause an endless loop or other problems.
Is there perhaps another way of keeping the categories the same in each of the Masters and Versions.

Mario

QuoteBut if I accidentally select the JPG and allocate categories to it they are not propogated to the CR2

That's to be expected. Changes you make to the metadata of versions don't affect the master. Just make it a habit to not assign categories to versions, only to the master. Maybe make JPEG files stand out in the file window by using a different color, including the format in your layout etc. Easy to do, never make the mistake again.

QuoteCould I also create a Master/Version from JPG to CR2 to ensure both stay in sync or would this cause an endless loop or other problems.

This would cause an infinite loop, certainly. A master replicates to the version which in turn replicates to the master. Bad idea.

I thought you were only interested in a fix for some metadata problems you have?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

RainerG

I made a testdatabase with a couple og pics and after a couple of 'trial and error' it runs :-).

Is it now possible without problems to delete the JPGs?

Before deleting the JPGs must i delete/deactivate the versioning?

RainerGausH
www.BunteReisebilder.de

Mario

QuoteIs it now possible without problems to delete the JPGs?

If you don't need them anymore...
You don't need to disable file relations when deleting versions.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator