5.6.12 love crtl P to print.. but....

Started by Aubrey, January 26, 2016, 09:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

Mario,
It's cool to bring up crtl P to print and further develop options in the Design and Print Module.
However, I think the Import & Export tab needs to be automatically added to right hand side so that images required can be dropped to design and print module. Without this one still needs to go to Tools | Import & Export to bring up an option to drop files into this module.

The alternative is that images can be directly dropped onto IMatch Design and Print Module (from IMatch Viewer window) clearly, this needs to be done into the correct template  and then appear in files window.

Lets do a bit more thinking, with input from other users before further changes.

It's now obvious when I suggested this change that I had not fully thought it through. Apologies.

Aubrey.

Mario

Select the images you want to print in the file window, then press <Ctrl>+<P>
To change the images used by the D&P, switch back to the file window, select other files, press <Ctrl>+<P> again. Repeat.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on January 27, 2016, 08:44:18 AM
Select the images you want to print in the file window, then press <Ctrl>+<P>
To change the images used by the D&P, switch back to the file window, select other files, press <Ctrl>+<P> again. Repeat.

I would also say, a nice addition, thanks, Mario.

This <Ctrl>+<P> does not work proper, if I want do this with a dynamic template with several groups.

For this I go on the main-category, and press <Ctrl>+<P>.
Design & Print does open, but only with these images, what are selected.
If I select all images from all categories, they will be handled like selected images, but not separated with groups.

Would be nice, if I could also select the main-category, press <Ctrl>+<P> and all images in this category would be handled like I had this done with drag'n'drop.

I guess, this is not easy possible.
So I wanted only mention this, for me this is not a problem.

BTW: the print-modul works really fine!
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

QuoteThis <Ctrl>+<P> does not work proper, if I want do this with a dynamic template with several groups.

This cannot work. As documented <Ctrl>+<P> uses the currently selected files in the file window. There are no groups.
If you want groups, drop folders, collections, categories or time-line nodes onto the Import & Export module. The import & export subsystem in IMatch knows how to handle such complex selections and Design & Print receives them.

This is a typical example how a too hasty added feature confuses users. Or at least causes questions.

The initial consistent and understandable behavior (Identical for all export modules in IMatch - "drop objects folders, files, ...") has been extended with Ctrl+P; creating two separate ways to launch D&P with different results.
And already 'bug reports' or 'This does not work like I think it should work' come in. I think I will remove Ctrl+P again, to make the behavior consistent and reliable.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on January 27, 2016, 01:02:59 PM
QuoteThis <Ctrl>+<P> does not work proper, if I want do this with a dynamic template with several groups.

This cannot work. As documented <Ctrl>+<P> uses the currently selected files in the file window. There are no groups.
If you want groups, drop folders, collections, categories or time-line nodes onto the Import & Export module. The import & export subsystem in IMatch knows how to handle such complex selections and Design & Print receives them.

This is a typical example how a too hasty added feature confuses users. Or at least causes questions.

The initial consistent and understandable behavior (Identical for all export modules in IMatch - "drop objects folders, files, ...") has been extended with Ctrl+P; creating two separate ways to launch D&P with different results.
And already 'bug reports' or 'This does not work like I think it should work' come in. I think I will remove Ctrl+P again, to make the behavior consistent and reliable.

I think, you should leave simply the Ctrl+P - behaviour. As I tried to point out, for me personally it is not a problem. At the moment not that lot of users will use dynamic templates with categories.
Hence your new addition will help a lot of users.
And for me, to be honest, it is really very easy to drop some images or a category or a folder on the export-print-modul. I even thought not at any kind of additon in the aerea, until a user has asked for it.

So, as a fazit, for me all is fine, like it is now.
I like the print-modul and its faszinating possibilities. And the way to do so (drag n drop or Ctrl p) is for me a very minor thing, what is not interesting for me.

(btw, not long, and I am finnished with my templates, I love the hidden-function, simply add a 1 and the page is unvisible)
  ;D
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus