Value of FocusDistance tag not available with my D7100 body

Started by ddprat, January 27, 2016, 05:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddprat

The field {File.MD.Nikon::LensData01\9\FocusDistance\0} display no value in the Lens Metadata Panel when I display files taken with my Nikon D7100 body. All is fine with the D80 or D300 and same lenses. I made no change in Tag Manager since iI bought this new body.

How can I make this working OK ?

Edit: I made some controls in ExifTool and all is OK, the value is displayed.

ddprat

Sorry, my last edit about ExifTool may be confusing but my problem is not solved, it was just to say I made this control after my initial post.

Nobody owning a D7100 in the community and using this tag ?
Does a manual update necessary for every new body added in the database ?

Any help will be usefull  8)

Mario

This is a proprietary Nikon maker note.
IMatch by default only imports standard metadata (Nikon can easily pack hundreds of maker notes in NEF files, and 99% of that data is useless for humans and only fills up the database).
Nikon invents new tag names / ids with each new camera. ExifTool then invents new names for these tags, new numerical indexes etc.

Have you enabled this tag in the Tag Manager? Edit > Preferences > Metadata : Tag Manager.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ddprat

Quote from: Mario on January 30, 2016, 04:57:32 PM
Have you enabled this tag in the Tag Manager? Edit > Preferences > Metadata : Tag Manager.
Thanks for the response  :)

Yes, I enabled the group Nikon LensData01. It's OK with my old D80 and D300, I get the good value for Nikon::LensData01\9\FocusDistance\0, but with the D7100 the tag is empty !

When I open the same image within ExifTool, I can see the value in the field named 'Distance de mise au point' which I suppose is the same as Nikon::LensData01\9\FocusDistance\0. So I think this field is not correctly imported by IMatch or ExifTool

Mario

IMatch imports all metadata delivered by ExifTool, unless the data is excluded in the tag manager.
After making changes in the Tag Manager you have to force an re-import of the file (or at least the metadata) using the <Shift>+<Ctrl>+<F5> rescan dialog.
All metadata imported by IMatch is visible in the Metadata Panel in the Browser Mode.
You can see all data in the file in the ExifTool Command Processor using the "List Metadata" template. If the tag is shown there, and not excluded in the Tag manager, it will be imported.

You can send me a sample file via email or upload somewhere and I can look into it mid/end next week.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ddprat

Thanks for your help.

Here are one image and 2 screenshots for this file showing the result in ECP and Metadata Panel.

I have this problem since september so I am not in a hurry and I can wait one week  ;)

Edit: Also {File.MD.Exif::Main\37382\SubjectDistance\0} and {File.MD.XMP::exif\SubjectDistance\SubjectDistance\0} are empty in the file I joined to this post.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

When I look at the ExifTool output, I don't see the tags you are looking for.
ExifTool returns (and IMatch shows) these lens tags:

{File.MD.Composite\LensSpec\LensSpec\0}
{File.MD.Composite\LensID\LensID\0}
{File.MD.photools.com::IMatch\2900\lens\0}
{File.MD.Nikon::Main\132\Lens\0}
{File.MD.Nikon::Main\139\LensFStops\0}
{File.MD.Nikon::Main\131\LensType\0}
{File.MD.Nikon::LensData0204\0\LensDataVersion\0}
{File.MD.Nikon::LensData0204\13\LensFStops\0}
{File.MD.Nikon::LensData0204\12\LensIDNumber\0}

{File.MD.Composite\HyperfocalDistance\HyperfocalDistance\0}
{File.MD.Exif::Main\41996\SubjectDistanceRange\0}
{File.MD.Nikon::LensData0204\10\FocusDistance\0}
{File.MD.XMP::exif\SubjectDistanceRange\SubjectDistanceRange\0}

The file has no subject distance value in EXIF so ExifTool cannot import it or fill the XMP tag (and {File.MD.Exif::Main\37382\SubjectDistance\0} will be empty, as well as the corresponding XMP tag).

Probably Nikon has moved that tag from standard EXIF somewhere into their proprietary maker notes for this camera / firmware. They did that before. Nikon maker notes change with each camera model, and often also with the firmware version.

The only distance tags are

[Nikon]         Focus Distance                  : 7.94 m
[ExifIFD]       Subject Distance Range          : Unknown
[Composite]     Hyperfocal Distance             : 2641.43 m

Please note that tags like

{File.MD.Nikon::LensData01\9\FocusDistance\0}

you mention in your first post refer to proprietary maker notes created by some Nikon camera models. These tags can (and usually will) change between camera models and sometimes when you update the firmware of the camera and/or lens.

Nikon is also known to remove standard metadata from EXIF and to move it into one of their proprietary maker notes. And Nikon also encrypts some metadata values...

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

ddprat

Mario, you are fantastic !    :D

Here is the solution, I don't noticed this group {File.MD.Nikon::LensData0204} in the Tag Manager   :-[   
The value is in {File.MD.Nikon::LensData0204\10\FocusDistance\0} for my D7100

Thanks a lot  :)

ddprat

Quote from: Mario on January 31, 2016, 08:49:25 AM
When I look at the ExifTool output, I don't see the tags you are looking for.
ExifTool returns (and IMatch shows) these lens tags:

{File.MD.Composite\LensSpec\LensSpec\0}
{File.MD.Composite\LensID\LensID\0}
{File.MD.photools.com::IMatch\2900\lens\0}
{File.MD.Nikon::Main\132\Lens\0}
{File.MD.Nikon::Main\139\LensFStops\0}
{File.MD.Nikon::Main\131\LensType\0}
{File.MD.Nikon::LensData0204\0\LensDataVersion\0}
{File.MD.Nikon::LensData0204\13\LensFStops\0}
{File.MD.Nikon::LensData0204\12\LensIDNumber\0}

{File.MD.Composite\HyperfocalDistance\HyperfocalDistance\0}
{File.MD.Exif::Main\41996\SubjectDistanceRange\0}
{File.MD.Nikon::LensData0204\10\FocusDistance\0}
{File.MD.XMP::exif\SubjectDistanceRange\SubjectDistanceRange\0}

Just a last question: how do you obtain such a list of tags. I suppose it is with ECP but which command do you enter ?

Mario

Quote from: ddprat on January 31, 2016, 12:39:41 PM
Just a last question: how do you obtain such a list of tags. I suppose it is with ECP but which command do you enter ?
I actually did that for you manually, by using the "Copy as Variable" command in the metadata panel context menu. Once for each variable.
I used the search function in the metadata panel in Browser mode to find all that was imported for lens and also for distance.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

ddprat

Oh, just for me  :-[  Great  :D

Thanks again for your help. Have a nice sunday  ;)

Mario

Quote from: ddprat on January 31, 2016, 12:17:30 PM
Mario, you are fantastic !    :D

Here is the solution, I don't noticed this group {File.MD.Nikon::LensData0204} in the Tag Manager   :-[   
The value is in {File.MD.Nikon::LensData0204\10\FocusDistance\0} for my D7100

Thanks a lot  :)

Nikon has now so many different 'sets' and flavors for lens and other maker notes that Phil apparently started to just number them. Nikon and the other camera vendors give a <beep> on metadata quality or consistency. It seems that whoever wants at Nikon comes up with new metadata fields and names and stuffs them wherever they please into the file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jch2103

Quote from: Mario on January 31, 2016, 12:48:17 PM
Nikon has now so many different 'sets' and flavors for lens and other maker notes that Phil apparently started to just number them. Nikon and the other camera vendors give a <beep> on metadata quality or consistency. It seems that whoever wants at Nikon comes up with new metadata fields and names and stuffs them wherever they please into the file.

Not only that, but the last time I looked at Nikon focus distance metadata, the data didn't seem to be all that accurate (although that may have just been for my particular body/lens combination)...
John

ddprat

@ Mario,
Oh yes, Phils does a great job too, a real painstaking work.

@jch2103,
With my telephoto and macro lenses, values for distance focus are accurate for short and middle distance, the range I most use them. It is usefull to know the more used range in order to do micro ajustement of AF.
I also notice poor results with zooms like the 16-85 but it is less important for my use.