Problems restoring an IMatch backup to a new computer

Started by DavidOfMA, February 07, 2016, 07:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidOfMA

I am attempting to install IMatch on a new computer and assumed that installing IMatch and then running a Pack and Go Restore on my latest database archive would smoothly transfer all the new settings as well as the stored databases. However, although I specified that Pack and Go restore the files to their original locations, it instead dumped the settings into the C: root folder. There are several folders and about 38 files, some of which I recognize as Favorites and others named system-(various suffixes).im(various  two-letter suffixes). Where should all these files go, so that I can get back all the customizations I did to IMatch over the past several months? I don't understand why they weren't restored to their original locations.

Thanks,
David

Mario

Did you install IMatch on that machine with the IMatch installer?
It will automatically create all required folders. Basically everything goes under %PROGRAMDATA%\photools.com\IMatch5, including scripts, the settings database etc.

Did you keep the Pack & Go log file? Any errors reported? If it cannot find a 'previous' folder location (new machine!) it usually determines the folder locations from the last IMatch run, and if that also fails, reports an error. I don't know why it decided to use the root folder on your machine for that.

Anyway, delete the folders created in the root.
Run P&G and restore all files to a fresh folder. From there, copy the database to where you want it and copy the other files into the corresponding folders matching your installation. See the Pack & Go help for details.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DavidOfMA

I'm still not getting things right. I ran Pack&Go again and copied the AppData and ProgramData folders to the appropriate places, and some things are back, such as scripts and Favotites, but Workspaces and Renamer presets are still unavailable, along with the nameplate modification I made. What am I doing wrong? There are no errors in the Pack and Go log.

I also tried uninstalling IMatch, deleting all photools.com folders, reinstalling IMatch, and then copying the AppData and ProgramData IMatch folders to the correct locations again, but still no joy.

The difference between old and new computers is in the User folder - David on the source machine, Owner on the destination.

Thanks,
David

Mario

Many IMatch settings are stored per-user. If you use a different user name on the new machine, the settings for the old user will not be available.
Use the user name alias feature available under Edit > Preferences > Application to overcome this and to tell IMatch which name you want to use for the settings. See the help for details on the Alias feature.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DavidOfMA