Most efficient way to synchronize two versions of the same database and files?

Started by DavidOfMA, February 08, 2016, 03:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidOfMA

My images are on a desktop with large hard disks. I've copied the database to a laptop and want to work on some of the images on this laptop (and make changes to the database), then synchronize my changes with the desktop. Is there a more efficient way to do this (assuming I don't change any settings in IMatch except those related to the images) than copying the changed images and the whole database back and forth? I know people have been dealing with this issue for a long time, and I'm hoping someone has a more elegant solution than I can come up with.

Thanks,
David

sinus

Do you want work on the images itself (online) or "only" on the datas like collection, metadatas and so on?
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

DavidOfMA

Some of each. Mainly the images, but I will be moving them around, adding metadata, categories, etc. If needed, I'll copy the whole 7GB database each time, but if there's a way around it, I'd rather not.

sinus

Quote from: DavidOfMA on February 08, 2016, 07:09:58 AM
Some of each. Mainly the images, but I will be moving them around, adding metadata, categories, etc. If needed, I'll copy the whole 7GB database each time, but if there's a way around it, I'd rather not.

Hm, in this case I have not a solution, I am afraid.

If you would only edit metadatas, you could (I am trying this at the moment) try to use simply

1. export the canged images to a csv-file with all relevant metadatas (export-modul)
(I think, but I am not sure yet, we could also include some IMatch-collections like dots, flags and so on)

2) Import this file on your desktop computer, what would write all changes to the real DB (import-modul)

For edited images itself, I think, you must copy these files from the laptop to the real computer and then you could overwrite the "old" images.

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

See also Traveling with IMatch in the help for additional information.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Dickel

I have been using BTSync for this purpose for about 2.5 years now.  There was some previous discussion on here - search for topic 3852.

This is VERY efficient!  Once set up you don't need to do anything else - do your work on whichever machine is handy and your work will be automatically synced with your other machine(s).

BTSync is much improved since its early 'beta' days and is cross platform for iOS, Android, Windows, Linux, various NAS boxes, etc.  Your files can be synced via your local LAN or via the internet as required (encrypted of course) - there is no online storage or 'cloud' involved - this is direct peer-to-peer.

The free version suits my needs but there is also a paid version with more features.

The website is here: https://www.getsync.com/

Dickel

ianrr

Hi David. I use a program called Syncback. It has all the features needed. One has to setup exactly what you want to do, then from there after just select the process you want. There is a free 30 days to try it out. 

Ian