Write Location Informaton into LocationCreated Tags

Started by TomS, December 01, 2015, 11:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomS

IMatch automatically writes the location data that it looks up into the "location shown" ITPC extension fields. I would like for it to write that information into the "location created" ITPC extension fields. This could be accomplished by letting the user configure this option somewhere in preferences or it could just be done automatically like it is now for the location shown fields. The best case scenario would be to allow the user to choose where that data is written. My reasoning follows:

The IPTC standards are clear about the use of both the Location Shown and Location Created sets of fields. The Location Created set is meant to store the location at which an image was created or, more precisely, where the camera was when the image was captured. The Location Shown set of fields is meant to store information about the location shown in the image. The IPTC guidelines point out that the two sets of fields could contain different information when, for instance, a photographer is taking a picture of a mountain range and is standing in a different region or even different country than the mountain range is in.

When mapping locations using the Map panel, IMatch users are able to select or mark a location on the map. They could be marking the location shown or they could be marking the location created. Location information can also be looked up by using existing GPS coordinates that may have been written to the original file by the camera. In this case then those coordinates would most likely be the coordinates of the location created. By writing that location information to the location shown fields, IMatch could be creating inaccurate metadata. Either way, the user should be able to specify where the resulting location information is written.

jch2103

Note that "IPTC" metadata is now incorporated as part of XMP metadata:

QuoteFrom the NewsML-G2 2.21: Annual Release on 20 November 2015:
For many years IPTC metadata fields have been embedded in JPEG or TIFF images files. From 1995 on the IPTC Information Interchange Model (IIM) defined the semantics of the fields and the technical format for saving them in image files. In 2003 Adobe introduced a new format for saving metadata, namely XMP (Extended Metadata Platform), and many IPTC IIM fields were specified as the "IPTC Core" metadata schema. This defined identical semantics but opened the formats for saving to IIM and XMP in parallel. Later the "IPTC Extension" metadata schema was added; the defined fields are stored by XMP only.  Thus, many people work with IPTC photo metadata, regardless how they are saved in the files; this is handled by the software they use. The transfer of IPTC Photo Metadata fields to NewsML-G2 properties has a focus on the equivalence of the semantics of fields. The retrieval of the embedded values from the files is a secondary issue and documents like the Guidelines for Handling Image Metadata, produced by the Metadata Working Group (http://www.metadataworkinggroup.org/specs/) help in this area. 
John

TomS

I should have been more specific. When I refer to location shown and location created metadata fields, what I mean is the XMP equivalents of those fields (XMP::iptcExt\LocationShown\LocationShown\0 and XMP::iptcExt\LocationCreated\LocationCreated\0). By default, IMatch uses the location shown fields and allows no way for users to change that. What I would like is to have the option for it to be written into the XMP::iptcExt\LocationCreated\LocationCreated\0 fields. By putting it in the LocationShown fields, IMatch is making certain assumptions about he GPS coordinates. What I'm asking for is a way to tell IMatch whether to interpret the GPS coordinates as the location that the image was created or the location that is shown in the image or both.

Mario

This is actually a very complex feature request. Many features in IMatch depend on GPS data and expect it in the standard tags:

The Map Panel
The Reverse Geo-coding features and related functionality
Filters
Search functions
Standard data-driven categories

All this would need to adapt on the GPS coordinates the user prefers (location created or shown). I have selected the standards shown GPS coordinates because they are mapped reliably between XMP and EXIF and are compatible with a wide range of applications and workflows, both professional and consumer.

Let's see how many Likes this feature request gets and then I can sit down and think about how complicated and 'expensive' such a change would be.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

TomS

Mario,

I'm not suggesting that you do anything differently with the GPS coordinates, only that you give the user the option to write the textual location data to the location created set of fields at the same time it is written to the location shown fields. This would be not much different than having the user apply a metadata template to accomplish the same task only it would save the user the additional step. I can see how having the application support two sets of GPS coordinates would become a much more complex enhancement.

Thanks for your response and consideration.

jch2103

I spent a little time looking at this again, and created the attached metadata template that copies XMP LocationShown tags to XMP LocationCreated tags. It seems to work OK for images with XMP data (w/o IPTC data), but not quite the same with images containing IPTC data. (The IPTC images I tried didn't have XMP LocationShown fields, but through the magic of metadata mapping the template did produce XMP LocationCreated data.) I suspect this only scratches the surface of the underlying metadata complexity involved with these location tags, especially where other applications are used. But you might want to play with it.

Use at your own risk, etc.

[attachment deleted by admin]
John

Rhadamanthys

The "Choose Location" in "Edit Locations" allows me to pick the most appropriate location of my target Lat, Long, see shot1.jpg.
What sense does this make if the picked location is only partially used, see shot2.jpg.
The lookup assigns Country, State, ZIP/City, even an altitude (where from?) but refuses to fill in the field "Location".

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

Why do you post unrelated questions in a Feature Request?
Please follow the community rules and post questions int he appropriate board.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Rhadamanthys

Sorry for being new here.
Would you mind to educate me where to put it?

DigPeter

Quote from: Rhadamanthys on January 26, 2016, 08:42:17 PM
The General Discussion and Questions board

Mario

Quote from: Rhadamanthys on January 26, 2016, 08:42:17 PM
Each board has a description which explains the klnd of posts appropriate. If in doubt, post in General Discussion and Questions if it's related to IMatch or DAM, else in Off Topic.
Asking a question in a feature request usually results in your question being ignored. I look at FR's only when they are new.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Fellwalker

Quote from: Mario on December 02, 2015, 08:57:27 AM
This is actually a very complex feature request. Many features in IMatch depend on GPS data and expect it in the standard tags:

The Map Panel
The Reverse Geo-coding features and related functionality
Filters
Search functions
Standard data-driven categories

All this would need to adapt on the GPS coordinates the user prefers (location created or shown). I have selected the standards shown GPS coordinates because they are mapped reliably between XMP and EXIF and are compatible with a wide range of applications and workflows, both professional and consumer.

Let's see how many Likes this feature request gets and then I can sit down and think about how complicated and 'expensive' such a change would be.
Interesting.  All of my GPS data for the last 3 years has come from my camera, so it is absolutely the "Location Created".  I had not realised that iMatch was putting that into the "Location Shown" fields. 
Prior to getting a camera with automatic GPS, I used the iMatch recommendation.  Rather than an internal map panel, iMatch recommended the program Geosetter which allowed one to set the Location Created, and also the direction of view of the camera taking the photo. 
Any external GPS that is used and then synchronised to the camera will identify the Location Created.  Top of the range SLRs that have add-ons of GPS taggers use Location Created.  Many enthusiast cameras now include either GPS or smart connections to the users smartphone that add the Location Created.  More and more people use smartphones as one of their cameras, and they by default put the location of the camera at Location Created.   

No where in any of this does Location Shown feature.

I suppose the question is how much does this matter to the average user of iMatch.  For me, not so much.  THe EXIF is what will be used by all of the programs and web pages that I use.  But it seems illogical.