Renamer: make the "replace text" step not case sensitive

Started by Carlo Didier, March 01, 2016, 06:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Didier

Apparently, the "Replace Text" option in the renamer is case-sensitive by default (did I ever mention that I HATE case-sensitivity?).
Is there a simple way, apart from using regular expressions, to make it ignore the case?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Menace

Hi!

How about a workaround:

1. Step: Use the "lowercase letters"-Command of the renamer?
2. Step: Rename with the words you want.

Maybe some people need case-sensitivity?

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Menace on March 01, 2016, 07:01:40 PM
Hi!

How about a workaround:

1. Step: Use the "lowercase letters"-Command of the renamer?
2. Step: Rename with the words you want.

Maybe some people need case-sensitivity?

I'll try that. Although it's not perfect if you have upper-/lower-case mixed in the names for other reasons (readability) and don't want to loose that. With your method, you'd end up with the new name being all lower case (or all upper case), which is probably not desirable.

Some people might need case-sensitivity in some cases, but I'm pretty sure that the vast majority doesn't want it, especially for searches (in this case, the replace function is a kind of search). So, if at all, it should not be the default, but an option.

Mario

The simple replace is case-sensitive and the regexp is not. Choose what does the job best for you.

I don't know how many use mixed case file names, camel case or whatever. Or maybe write their file names differently every time. I don't make assumptions, they are usually wrong. When I err, the feature request board will tell quickly.

I personally use a standard naming schema for the past 10 years. No special characters. All lower-case. No funky file names. Globally unique file names. One rename is all that's needed, and the file name sticks forever, on all platforms, operating systems, languages and services.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on March 01, 2016, 07:41:36 PM
I personally use a standard naming schema for the past 10 years. No special characters. All lower-case. No funky file names. Globally unique file names. One rename is all that's needed, and the file name sticks forever, on all platforms, operating systems, languages and services.
Same here ... in principle, but you know rules are there to be broken and no rule without exceptions  8)

Actually, in this case, I had the suffix "_pano" attached to the names for, well, stiched panos of course (others are "_HDR" or "_focus-stack" for example).
But, human as I am, sometimes I wrote "_Pano" ... shouldn't make a difference, right?

But I found it esthetically bad and so wanted to change them all to "_stitched", because not all the stiched images are actually a panoramic format. That's when I stumbled over this.
I still find that the replace function should not be case sensitive. I can handle simple regexes, but many users won't be able to do that.

And can you really imagine someone searching for some string in a specific case? That might happen in way less than 1% of the searches (probably much less!).
I sometimes stumbled upon the same problem in searches and always it caused a lot of anger and desperation and lost time (before I found out why I didn't find what I was looking for ...). It's just not what one would expect by default. I even know a company whose email server requires email addreses to be in the exact case ... could kill that sys admin ...

Mario

QuoteI still find that the replace function should not be case sensitive. I can handle simple regexes, but many users won't be able to do that.

I'm 100% sure that other users will tell you otherwise. That they absolutely want case-sensitive replace!

Since you can just use a regexp or maybe use use multiple replace steps to cover all cases, this is not really an issue. I could of course pile options over options - but then users would complain that IMatch is too complex. And since, at least as far as I recall, you are the first user ever requesting this, I doubt that this is an issue for the majority of users. Things that bug many users are usually reported often or documented in feature requests.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Mario, I know we'll never agree on this point (from previous discussions), but I just can't stop complaining about case-sensitive-madness because it has caused me so much anger and many problems on a number of occasions (remember, I'm an IT professional too, so I've seen a lot of things in this context).  8)

sinus

Quote from: Carlo Didier on March 01, 2016, 10:45:54 PM
Mario, I know we'll never agree on this point (from previous discussions), but I just can't stop complaining about case-sensitive-madness because it has caused me so much anger and many problems on a number of occasions (remember, I'm an IT professional too, so I've seen a lot of things in this context).  8)

I love case-sensitive.  :D
Sorry, Carlo.

But the world would be poorer if things like this would be equalized.

You do also use small and BIG letters in your letters, I guess.

You see not only red, you see different reds.
Different fruits, trees, people and an IT-girl is maybe not the same like an it-girl  ;D

It is a pity, that you had so much troubles with this, but in my case I am really very glad to have this difference.

And like Mario pointed out, we can use both ... if we know how to do.  8)

sorry for this, best wishes from markus ... and yes, I know, you hate case<-sensitive  ;)

take this post as a  ;) please
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Carlo Didier

No problem, Markus  :)
I'm not ranting against Mario or iMatch, but generally. I do use upper and lower case of course, for readability. But it just doesn't make sense for searches. Imagine having to use the exact combination of upper and lower case letters in a Google search. You wouldn't be able to find much  :-\

Now I'm going to bed. We had a power failure at our Server Room around 1am now (actually our whole main site) and at the backup site too, for good measure. Fortunately, the power came back before the batteries were empty and we would have had to shut everything down. I think I'll sleep longer this morning  :-[