How to combine categories

Started by clpratt, March 20, 2016, 09:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clpratt

I have category "Pets|Our pets|dogs|name" with child categories of the dog's names
and category "Pets|Other People's pets|dogs|name" also with child categories.

I also have category "Animals|dogs".

Is there a way to have all the dogs in the two "Pets|...|...|name" categories also appear in the category "Animals|dogs" along with any unnamed dogs directly assigned to "Animals|dogs"

Mario

Alias categories?
Or categories with the same name as the dogs which refer to the  original category by formula?

If you're looking for a way to link entire sub-hierarchies of categories into several places - there is no such feature.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

AnaDia

@clpratt
Are you using "normal" categories or @keyword categories? Why don't you assign the pictures to both categories?
So you will have pictures which are assigned to:
- "Pets|Our pets|dogs|name" AND "Animals|dogs"
- "Pets|Other People's pets|dogs|name" AND "Animals|dogs"
- and maybe only "Animals|dogs"

ubacher

Would it not do you to just select all three categories in the category view at the same time (Ctrl-click) to see what you want?

clpratt

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am using normal categories. What I want to achieve is that all dogs assigned to other categories are seen when I select Animals|dogs, including any dogs only assigned to Animals|dogs.
The problem is, as Mario points out, that "there is no way to link entire sub-hierarchies of categories into several places -there is no such feature".
Perhaps I shall try making a category formula to achieve my desired result.

Mario

You can use Alias categories or use the @Builder to create the formula category you want. Should take all but a minute.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook