Database and Folder Structure

Started by hannes_hab, April 01, 2016, 05:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hannes_hab

When I am adding folders to the database I would like to have them in the same folder stricture as on the harddrive / NAS.
That does not work in IMatch 5.5 (or I have wrong setting?) or am I doing something the wrong way?

The NAS is shown as drive S: there are different folders like DATA/2015/etc now. I have added DATA/2015/VAREN15/PHASE/EINR with subfolders recently. Now I have added the directory KAMIN_OFEN  with subfolders - but it is not shown under DATA/2015/VAREN15/BAU/E_HLSK (the path should be shown but not the files in it)

Another strange thing: S is shown as drive - and as folder ...
See attached screenshot

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

1. Press <F5> after clicking in the Media & Folders tree. IMatch may be delayed when updating the tree by background activity or Windows file system activity.

2. Note that IMatch links folders under their parent. If the parent folder is not in the database, the folder will be added under the drive or media node.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

hannes_hab

after F5 nothing was changed - I clicked a the drive and did the update drive command -  that would take too much time so  I stoped that ...  I run the database-diagostic  - 1 warning appeared - Metadatenbank - next run - everything is fine again. But the folder structure did not change ...

Mario

Rescanning a drive will add all folders on that drive to your database - this is probably not what you want.

As I said, IMatch links folders under their parent folder, if it is in the database. Are all parent folders of "KAMIN_OFEN" in the database, up to the topmost root folder?

Please be more detailed, and give us the full folder paths. I cannot tell if and which folder you have missed to add. The diagnosis log file would also be helpful, because it shows me all the folders in your database, and how they relate. If a folder you have added does not show up under the folder you expect, the problem is in 99.9% of all cases a parent folder which has not been added to the database. IMatch can handle that, but of course cannot link the folder to a location other than the drive (or media) node.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

monochrome

I think you're going at it the wrong way. You should only add a single folder to the DB - DATA. Then, when you add a folder below DATA, you rescan DATA (right click + rescan).

Put short: The only folders you should "Add" to the DB should be the topmost folders. All the child folders are pulled in by rescanning.

Mario

QuoteThe only folders you should "Add" to the DB should be the topmost folders. All the child folders are pulled in by rescanning.

To be more precise: When you add a folder to your database, IMatch by default also adds all sub-folders recursively.
Just drag the folder you want to add from Windows Explorer to IMatch and IMatch will take care of the rest.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

hannes_hab

Thank you for the replies!

I try to describe:

I have Photos, I have Renderings, I have Documents with Pictures.
I want to have them in one Database.

1 When I created the Database I first added the Renderings (with a software on Windows and on a local drive and a temporary folder), made subfolders within in Imatch 5.5 using the renaming (with copy ...) feature based on the day/time of the rendering.
2 Later I used the renaming feature to copy/move the renderings to the NAS where my ,,Project Data " is located.
For the ,,Projekt" I have Photos and Data (different Documents)
I normally work with linux. (only CAD, Render, Energy on WIN) Photo (Corel ASP), Panoramas Kolor Autopano and Panotour), Dokuments are processed on Linux. Organizing Photos with ASP and ZORA.

Step 1 and 2 worked fine with Imatch.

3 Because I had a problem with my linux machine I decided to work on WIN and wanted to use Imatch to create some Prints (to pdf)

I added parts of my DATA Folders to the Database.
/mnt/NAS_PUB/DATA/2015/XXXXX_XX (here VAREN15)

VAREN15
   ├── BAU
   │   ├── DETAILS
   │   ├── E_HLSK
   │   │   └── KAMIN_OFEN
   │   │       ├── ATTIKA
   │   │       │   └── BECKMANN_ABGASSYSTEM
   │   │       ├── BARBAS
   │   │       └── PLEWA

I added parts of my Photo Folders to the Database.

/mnt/NAS_PUB/PHOTO_FIN/PHOTO_buero/2015/11/27_VAREN15_fin

I don't want to have everything in the path in that Database.

I though that the path is shown as in Explorer or a it would be shown in ZORA (attached an example screenshot of ZORA).

But in Imatch I have to scan the whole path with everything in it (the top-folder).

Is this right?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

I can't follow, sorry.

When you add a sub-folder several levels deep to the database, but leave out or more parent folders, the parent folders don't become part of your database. IMatch does not know about them, IMatch cannot show them in the Media & Folders tree etc. See also my similar replies above.

If you have a folder

c:\images\beach\hawaii

and you add only this folder to your database,

IMatch will show

c: [ drive node]
|- hawaii

IMatch does not automatically add all parent folders to the database (this is definitely not want users want in such a case!). IMatch allows you to enable to show the full path (so you see the full folder name) but the parent folders will still not be part of your database and hence cannot show up in the Media & Folders tree. This is exactly as IMatch is supposed to behave.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

hannes_hab