Contact Sheet / Index Sheet

Started by imfan, April 08, 2016, 01:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imfan

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to create a Contact Sheet / Index Sheet (for screen view) with out the use of  the "printing module".
I think it was possible in iMatch 3.x.  Maybe I just cant find this option in iMatch 5.x

Thanks for any hints !

sinus

Except from Apps or scripts, at the moment I can only imagine the viewer. There you can at least 8 images see, but not more.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

The Design & Print module has been designed to do exactly that. To create contact sheets, And collages.. And photo books. And more.

It's a much improved successor of the rather simple Contact Sheet Builder we had in IMatch 3...why don't you want to use it?

1. Select the files you want to use for the contact sheet in a file window.
2. Press <Ctrl>+<P> to open Design & Print
3. On the System template tab, select the "Contact Sheet (6x)" template.

Done.

This template arranges six files per page. If you need more, just change the columns/rows as needed.

Then export to PDF, print on your printer, save a bitmap or whatever you plan to do.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

imfan

Thanks, for your aswers.

Well, I was reading the help file reagarding the printing and all this is way over head what I want to do - creating contact sheets in an easy way. I used to create CS using IrfanView-Thumbnails. Thas is VERY simple.

I will take a look to the printing modul again if it´s that easy as Mario said, I may use it.

Thanks for your feedback.

Mario

Experience tells me this:

1. Users want everything easy.
2. But their easy.

What you mean with contact sheet most likely differs a lot from what another user understands under contact sheet. Even the most simple contact sheet function would have quite a lot of options, e.g.

Size of the output images
How many images per page
How arranges
Size of the images
Print text? Which text and where?
Font size and colors?
Print Metadata? Which metadata and where?
Do you want to have page numbers?
Headers and Footers perhaps?
Sort the files before printing? How?
Output file format and options?
Output just image files or also PDF?
Maybe print on printer?

I could go on like this for quite a while.

I'm sure you would not be satisfied by an "easy" "Contact Sheet Button" which prints to 20 files on a 1600 x 800 JPEG, maybe with the file name in Tahoma 12pt above each image....

All the points mentioned above, and more, are handled by the Design & Print module. Which can do simple but also complex contact sheets. Collages. Photo Books. Posters. Leporellos. And a lot more.

I have tested the D&P module with a local amateur photo club. The folks who just dived in, played a bit with the default templates had a working knowledge of the basics in less than 30 minutes. And lots of fun trying things out. I'm sure you will also have fun with it.

elect 50 files. Do the 3 steps I mentioned above. Then change the template, e.g. change the number of columns or rows it prints on each page (via the page options). See how quickly you can change the design. If you like the result, save it as your own template. Now you can print your favorite contact sheets from anywhere in IMatch with a few mouse clicks.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook