Unwanted and unsollicited categories

Started by Henk, April 08, 2016, 08:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henk

A number of file names from my database appear now as categories in the @Keywords list of my Categories panel. I selected these files together with the Keywords panel and found out that in a mysterious way the file names were also attached as keywords to the files in question. I deleted these keywords and after that tried to delete the corresponding categories in the @Keywords list of the Categories panel. I did that several times but every time I restart IMatch these unwanted categories appear again. File names were never meant by me to be category names and as far as I know I undertook no action with that result. Has anayone a solution for this problem?[/size

ubacher

Basic approach to try: Delete keywords then write out the files : Metadata rewrite.
This way the keywords stored in each file should removed i.e. not read in again.

If that does not do it then start looking at where the file name is stored in the Metadata. Use the
Exiftool panel and display all metadata.

More info needed to help: Sample file (zipped), Metadata settings if not default.

Mario

IMatch has no built-in feature which imports file names into metadata.
Do you perhaps use a Metadata Template that does not what it is supposed to do?

As ubacher explained, check the metadata in your files (Use the Browser layout in the Metadata Panel to see all metadata). Is the file name stored in a tag (You can use the search function in the metadata panel to find it). Maybe some software has written the file name into an IPTC or XMP keyword. Some applications do this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook