unassigned category and adding folders

Started by gba1, April 10, 2016, 08:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gba1

So, I've added a folder via the files and folder command, and it shows up fine in the media and folder window.  Although the images have been renamed, they haven't been categorized, so they should show up in the unassigned category on the categories page.  They don't.  I then go back to the media and folder page, highlight the added folder, press shift + F5, get a flash indicating they were updated but again, nothing shows up in the unassigned category.  I close the program, restart it, still no images in the unassigned category.

My operating assumption here is that I'm doing something wrong, but I haven't been able to figure out what that "something is.  In previous versions to Imatch 5 I would just run the database wizard and unassigned images would show up in the unassigned category.

barry

jch2103

You may need to reload/refresh the Categories view (F5).

Note that the Unassigned category shows all files not directly assigned to a category. The Uncategorized category shows all files not assigned to any category.

John

Mario

The standard Unassigned category in IMatch 5 shows all files not directly assigned to a category.
Are you looking at the right category?
Is the formula still in place? The properties window under the category tree should show

"@Unassigned"

for the formula.

Is this a converted (from IMatch 3) database perhaps? Do you have multiple Unassigned categories?
Show us a screen shot.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

gba1

Notes to screen shots:

1.    The uncategorized files showing in screenshot 2 are the same fifteen images that appear above in the line 1-unassigned images.
2.   I thought that, as in imatch 3, the unassigned images would appear at the top of the categories, but the unassigned files appearing in screen shot 2 is at the tail end of the category list.
3.   The images from the folder that I added, more or less as a test as I try to figure out what I'm doing, ARE in fact in the unassigned files folder (with the red icon) in screen shot 2. 
4.   Yes, this was a conversion from imatch 3.
5.   I had assumed that you could assign categories using a right click context menu; when you do that with the images in the unassigned files category (screen shot 2) your only option is to un-assign from the current category (which is really a non category).

As I've said on earlier occasions, I have no doubt that I am missing something obvious.  Thanks for the help.

barry

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

1. Remove 1-Unassigned. This is a left-over from IMatch 3 and messes with the built-in categories in IMatch.
2. These categories appear at the bottom. Read the help about available sort orders in the Category View if you want to reorder categories.

IMatch 5 is around for two years. If you have just migrated, make sure that you read the "For IMatch 3 Users" help topic first.

5. Assumptions may be wrong. You cannot assign categories via the right-click menu. How would that work? You can remove selected files from the active category via the context menu.

You can assign categories to files in IMatch in many ways:

+ In the Category View
+ The Category Panel (best)
+ Drag & Drop
+ Copy & Paste
+ Favorites
+ Keyboard shortcuts
+ Automatically via adding keywords to files
+ ...

I suggest you check out the help on the Category View for the basics, and the help topic for the Category Panel to learn about all the features available there. The basics are really easy, but there are some extra features which may speed up your workflow considerably.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

gba1

Thanks for the advice to delete the leftover category reference from imatch 3.  It's gone.  I spent a fair amount of time messing around with this, and, eventually, figured out that looking for the checkboxes on the LEFT, where categories are listed is not where you find them.  Instead, those categories with the checkboxes are located on the right in the lower right hand corner. in a panel.   The category help isn't all that useful unless you understand what's going with panels and while I had read that section earlier I didn't link it to the category discussion.  This is my error and not the fault of anyone else.  It might be worth including a sentence in the help for categories noting that the default location for the category panel is on the right lower side.

Some thought might be given to an appendix to help that just walks the user through using a single image and the ways Imatch can be used to process that image.  FWIW.

Mario

QuoteSome thought might be given to an appendix to help that just walks the user through using a single image and the ways Imatch can be used to process that image.  FWIW.

If you are missing anything in the help, use the feedback link at the bottom of every page to send me feedback.

Category Assignments etc. are covered in many places in IMatch, and all places are inter-linked. The "For IMatch 3 users" help topic links directly to the help for the category panel.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator