Categories

Started by cthomas, April 16, 2016, 08:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomas

How can I get images to show up in "1-Unassigned Images" category https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5496.0;attach=12320;image. Then what does it mean when some of the category icons have a light blue color?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

1-Unassigned was used in IMatch 3. Make sure that the formula you use for this is correct. I bet it is empty and this why it does not works.

IMatch 5 by default installs categories named "Unassigned Files" and "Uncategorized Files". You seem to have deleted these. I suggest you delete 1-Unassigned and re-create the standard categories which are supposed to handle this.

1. Under @All create the category named "Unassigned Files" and configure this formula:

"@Unassigned"

2. Under @All create the category named "Uncategorized Files" and configure this formula:

"@UnCategorized"

See the IMatch help on these two category formulas to learn more about how they work and how they differ.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on April 16, 2016, 08:09:18 PM
1-Unassigned was used in IMatch 3. Make sure that the formula you use for this is correct. I bet it is empty and this why it does not works.

IMatch 5 by default installs categories named "Unassigned Files" and "Uncategorized Files". You seem to have deleted these. I suggest you delete 1-Unassigned and re-create the standard categories which are supposed to handle this.

1. Under @All create the category named "Unassigned Files" and configure this formula:

"@Unassigned"

2. Under @All create the category named "Uncategorized Files" and configure this formula:

"@UnCategorized"

See the IMatch help on these two category formulas to learn more about how they work and how they differ.

Why are these two categories (Unassigned Files and Uncategorized Files) are still empty Evan after putting the  formulas in? And why are some of the icons blue?
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

Maybe you don't have uncategorized or unassigned files?
Did you delete 1-Unassigned?

What do you mean with blue?
Do you mean that some of your categories show the refresh icon? That's normal unless IMatch has updated them all.
This is of course explained in the help in more detail. Click into the category tree and press <F1>.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on April 16, 2016, 08:39:55 PM
Maybe you don't have uncategorized or unassigned files?
Did you delete 1-Unassigned?

What do you mean with blue?
Do you mean that some of your categories show the refresh icon? That's normal unless IMatch has updated them all.
This is of course explained in the help in more detail. Click into the category tree and press <F1>.

Maybe you don't have uncategorized or unassigned files? How can I find out?
Did you delete 1-Unassigned? It looks like I did in this image.

See the blue icons in this image.

I looked in the IMatch help but I still couldn't tell how they differ. Would you explain a little?

Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

I don't see any blue icons.
I see the icons which tell you that a category has a formula, Others which tell you that a category is sealed.
The help topic about categories tells you which icons exist and what they mean.
I could also only re-iterate the explanation of the @Unassigned and @Uncategiorized formulas here. One shows all files which have not directly assigned to a category and the other shows all files not assigned to any category at all.

I think the reason why you don't see any files in these categories is because all of your files are assigned to at least one category. You seem to have many formula based categories which reference lots of files, so this would explain that. I cannot tell from remote.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

cthomas

:(  >:(    :-[ I know it is in the help but I just can't find how to assign images to a category.
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

You can assign categories to files in IMatch in many ways:

+ In the Category View
+ The Category Panel (best)
+ Drag & Drop
+ Copy & Paste
+ Favorites
+ Keyboard shortcuts
+ Automatically via adding keywords to files
+ ...

Assigning Files

Categories can contain any number of files. To add files to a category, you assign them via the Category View or the Category Panel.
Files can be contained in any number of categories. You can assign the same file to a Location category and also to a Project category. If an image shows Peter, Paul and Mary, you can assign this file to all three corresponding categories.

Assigning a file to a category does not create a copy of the file on your hard disk. IMatch just stores a "link" to the file in the category.

See Which Files are in a Category

To see the files assigned to a category, click on the category name in the Category View. The file window then shows all files in the selected category and its child categories, recursively.
You can also open the Categories Panel (View > Panels > Category Panel) and there click on the Current tab. This tab shows all the categories of the file selected in the File Window. If more than one file is selected, all categories of these files are shown, with indicators to make it cleart to which categories all files are assigned, and categories to which only some of the selected files are assigned.

Other Ways to Assign Files

You can copy files into the clipboard anywhere in IMatch (this does really copy the file, just a link to it) and then paste the files into one (or more categories) in the Category View.

You can drag & drop files from a File Window to the Category View, and there drop them on a category name in the tree on the left.

You can use Favorites to assign files to one or many categories with a single mouse click or keyboard shortcut.

When you assign keywords to files, these files are automatically assigned to the corresponding @Keywords category.

The Viewer can display a Category Panel, which makes it easy to assign files to categories while you view them. You can also use Favorites in the Viewer to perform category assignments.

Most of the time, however, you will use the Category Panel or the Category View to work with categories.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on April 17, 2016, 06:02:03 PM
You can assign categories to files in IMatch in many ways:

+ In the Category View
+ The Category Panel (best)
+ Drag & Drop
+ Copy & Paste
+ Favorites
+ Keyboard shortcuts
+ Automatically via adding keywords to files
+ ...

Assigning Files

Categories can contain any number of files. To add files to a category, you assign them via the Category View or the Category Panel.
Files can be contained in any number of categories. You can assign the same file to a Location category and also to a Project category. If an image shows Peter, Paul and Mary, you can assign this file to all three corresponding categories.

Assigning a file to a category does not create a copy of the file on your hard disk. IMatch just stores a "link" to the file in the category.

See Which Files are in a Category

To see the files assigned to a category, click on the category name in the Category View. The file window then shows all files in the selected category and its child categories, recursively.
You can also open the Categories Panel (View > Panels > Category Panel) and there click on the Current tab. This tab shows all the categories of the file selected in the File Window. If more than one file is selected, all categories of these files are shown, with indicators to make it cleart to which categories all files are assigned, and categories to which only some of the selected files are assigned.

Other Ways to Assign Files

You can copy files into the clipboard anywhere in IMatch (this does really copy the file, just a link to it) and then paste the files into one (or more categories) in the Category View.

You can drag & drop files from a File Window to the Category View, and there drop them on a category name in the tree on the left.

You can use Favorites to assign files to one or many categories with a single mouse click or keyboard shortcut.

When you assign keywords to files, these files are automatically assigned to the corresponding @Keywords category.

The Viewer can display a Category Panel, which makes it easy to assign files to categories while you view them. You can also use Favorites in the Viewer to perform category assignments.

Most of the time, however, you will use the Category Panel or the Category View to work with categories.

:+ The Category Panel (best)" Ok I'm in the The Category Panel but how do I Assign a files(s) to a catgeory. I don't see any images?
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

The category panel is usually docked alongside the file window. To assign selected files, just click on the box in front of the category name.

See attachment.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator