GPS-PZ (zip-code)?

Started by sinus, May 02, 2016, 07:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Hi
According to the helpfile I am trying to bring the PLZ (zip-code) with the reverse Geocoding into the city-field.
But either I do something wrong or I use simply the wrong provider (what brings me also the zip-code).

I am not able to bring the zip-code into the metadata of a file, I can see the zip-code also not in the exif-tool, although I can see it in the "lookup-box" (see attachement).

Does anybody has here a hint?
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

IMatch does not process ZIP codes. There is no field for that in XMP. You could probably put it into the city tag manually, but I have no idea at the moment if this is conform to standards etc. Best you look it up yourself before doing this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

I see.
Thanks, Mario.

Maybe I have misunderstood this from the helpfile (formatting - "mask for city-names"), thought I can use {pc} - {city} in the city-field, and then it would deliver for example "60311-Frankfurt am Main".

But no problem, I thought only, if we have this possibility, then I want use it. But in this case, I leave it, like it is. If this is not a standard, then it is maybe better anyway to leave it.

Markus

jch2103

It does seem odd that when using the reverse geocoding tool, the Found Locations list will list some postal/zip codes (as part of the City location) but they won't be saved in one of the XMP location fields, e.g., City. Of course, as Mario noted, there's no standard XMP tag for the postal code of the location (although there are some special-purpose tags for postal code, such as Microsoft Xtra\Postal Code). This seems to be one of the strange omissions in the EXIF/XMP standards...
John

Mario

Ah, you are using the city mask. I have forgotten about this feature. Sometimes I'm just too smart when I implement stuff.

I tried this and it works. When I set the mask to {pc} {city} and then reverse geo-code a place in Berlin, IMatch fills in something like:

60311 Frankfurt am Main

into the XMP city field. And this information is also written to the file.

I checked your settings. You have used the wrong syntax. The help is clear: It's {city} not {City} or {CITY} or whatever. Correct the spelling in your options and you should be good.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on May 03, 2016, 07:51:41 AM
Ah, you are using the city mask. I have forgotten about this feature. Sometimes I'm just too smart when I implement stuff.

I tried this and it works. When I set the mask to {pc} {city} and then reverse geo-code a place in Berlin, IMatch fills in something like:

60311 Frankfurt am Main

into the XMP city field. And this information is also written to the file.

I checked your settings. You have used the wrong syntax. The help is clear: It's {city} not {City} or {CITY} or whatever. Correct the spelling in your options and you should be good.

Ahhhh, stupid me!!!

I double-checked the variable, tried even with Pc  ::) and it worked not. But that the city should be in small letters ... I should have know it for sure! SORRY.

Still one question:
This formatting is cool.
I personally have problems in my country also, because wie have "Kantone".  I think, this is comparing with "Bundesland".
But (maybe, I do not know) in Germany maybe it is enough to write "Hessen" or "Baden-Würtemberg" instead of "Bundesland Hessen".

But here usually very often we use not simply "Aargau" or "Zürich", but "Kanton Aargau" or "Kanton Zürich".

We have here all Cities in IMatch written with the prefix "Kanton...". On this way, btw, I can search easy for all Kantons, also for such with the same name like a city, like Zürich, Bern and so on.

Hence it would be great, if I could also formatting the field "state" like the field city. Would solve this problem, because then I could easy set something like "Kanton {state}".

Does it make sense to create a feature request for this? (all swiss people would vote for it, I guess.  ;D)

Markus

Mario

Feel free to add a feature request. But I have no idea if GeoNames.org or Google know about Kantone
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Quote from: Mario on May 03, 2016, 12:56:46 PM
Feel free to add a feature request. But I have no idea if GeoNames.org or Google know about Kantone

Done. Thanks.
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=5533.0

GeoNames must know nothing about "Kantone", I would simply add "Kanton: " as a formatting text before the real Kanton.
Like I would write

Stadt: {city}
(what works great)

I would write the "variable":

Kanton: {state}

Thanks for listening!
Markus