Unexpected result trying to write IPTC Title as filename

Started by halftone, May 09, 2016, 06:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

halftone

Hi,

I thought I was doing this right, but it seems not.

I have files named 2016-05-09_001, _002 ... up to _360

In Metadata>Core Data I set Title to {File.Name}

However the values (2016-05-09_001 et seq) don't get written into the Metadata XMP on Ctrl/S. What gets written is "{File.Name}" (as text).  IE I now have 360 files titled {File.Name}.  It doesn't change when I write back IPTC to the actual files, either.

All my other metadata is getting written correctly, but it seems I can't use a {variable} to Title all the selected files in one go.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong here please?

Mario

I'm not quite sure what you did.

Did you write {File.Name} into the "Title" tag in the Metadata Panel and expected IMatch to interpret this variable?
This is not how this works. IMatch does not do process variables for text you enter in the metadata or keyword panel.

If you want to set metadata from variables, use a Metadata Template. These allow you to add, update and delete metadata tags, process variables and everything else you might want.

The Metadata Template help topic explains all this in detail, with examples.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

halftone

That'll be what I did wrong then. I didn't realise templates were distinct/different from the panel in that respect. I've not needed to use them for normal metadata. Thanks Mario.