Using the cache just for offline files?

Started by paloscsaba, May 13, 2016, 03:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paloscsaba

Hi!

In my database, the jpg files are the masters, RAW files the versions.
Around the half of the pictures is offline at any time, but not always the same half, it varies.

I would like to keep screen-sized views of the off-line files in the cache, and use them for viewing.
But when the files are online, I would like to use the full-size original jpegs in the viewer.

I don't know how to achieve this.
I would rule out the option to recreate the cached images each time before taking a folder offline, and purge them when the folder is online again.
There must be some other solution.

I am searching for an option "View original files when online, just use the cache for offline files.

Csaba

Mario

There is no such option. IMatch 5 always works via the cache, with the sole exception of JPEG files, which can optionally be used directly. But there are no options like "Use cache images only when this and that is true"... much too complicated, much too slow. Simple is best. Having such advanced options may be helpful in your apparently quite specific workflow and environment. I may be wrong, but I doubt that many other users will ever have a use for this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Quote from: paloscsaba on May 13, 2016, 03:38:38 PMIn my database, the jpg files are the masters, RAW files the versions.
You might consider reversing this to the more logical setup with the raw files as the originals (which they are) and any derived files like the JPEGs as versions (which they effectively are).
You can still have versions of the JPEGs after that.

sinus

Quote from: paloscsaba on May 13, 2016, 03:38:38 PM
Hi!

In my database, the jpg files are the masters, RAW files the versions.
Around the half of the pictures is offline at any time, but not always the same half, it varies.

Csaba

From my point of view this is a very special workflow.
Why jpgs are masters and not the raws?
And why are half of the files sometimes offline, somtimes the other half?
Maybe you have a tot of images or/and not enough space (disks) for them.
And you know, that the size of cache-images is changeable?

But after all, you will have your reasons for your question.

I do not know, what exactly you will achieve (are jpgs or nefs offline sometimes...?). Some (strange) ideas could be
-visual proxies on/off
-change offline-folder
-cache-preferences
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus