GPS only shown on 40% of jpg thumbs

Started by stonecherub, May 23, 2016, 08:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stonecherub

In my workflow, imported raw files are first converted to dng and then geotagged using Geosetter. Those files are then converted to jpg using Faststone which only transfers some metadata. The GPS and location values are written to the jpg files using Geosetter. Day folders contain the jpg files and the dng is a sub folder.

Geosetter shows that GPS and location names are written into all of both type files. IM5 shows GPS and location names for all of the dng files but only about 40% of the jpg files. Bug or feature?

Mario

Attach a sample file. You are mixing multiple applications in your workflow and shuffle data to and fro. Never a good idea.
Since GeoSetter and IMatch internally use ExifTool, this is usually not a problem at all. We need to see one of your 'wrong' JPEG files to tell more.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

stonecherub

Alas, all of the jpg files in my day folder exceed your 2.048 Mb upload limit. Shrinking them with another program would be "mixing multiple applications." I could send them using a dropBox.

Nef files are converted to dng because metadata cannot be written to nef. I made jpg my primary format because it is accepted both by Muttyan's Stereo Photo Maker and a panorama maker (that Lightroom replaced), both important applications in my workflow.

I would prefer to write geolocation metadata to the dng and have it transferred to the jpg but have not been able to find applications that does that

sinus

Quote from: stonecherub on May 24, 2016, 05:46:03 AM
I would prefer to write geolocation metadata to the dng and have it transferred to the jpg but have not been able to find applications that does that

Wow, your workflow involves quite a lot of software. Because I use also nefs, I am curious only.
Once I thought also to use dng, but finally choosed the xmp-routel.

You do convert your nefs first to dng. Whith what software?
Then you use Geosetter. Why not IMatch? (just curious)
Then you use Faststone.
After that you use Muttyan's Stereo Photo Maker.
And finally a Panorama maker.

Wow, really a lot (for me).

But finally this should also work in IMatch to see your gps-data.

Maybe I missed something, but above you write you want write geolocation to the dng and transferred to the jpg, but in the first post you wrote "In my workflow, imported raw files are first converted to dng and then geotagged using Geosetter. ...  The GPS and location values are written to the jpg files using Geosetter. "
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

Quote from: stonecherub on May 24, 2016, 05:46:03 AM
Alas, all of the jpg files in my day folder exceed your 2.048 Mb upload limit. Shrinking them with another program would be "mixing multiple applications." I could send them using a dropBox.

Nef files are converted to dng because metadata cannot be written to nef. I made jpg my primary format because it is accepted both by Muttyan's Stereo Photo Maker and a panorama maker (that Lightroom replaced), both important applications in my workflow.

Just send me a link to my support email.

1.  IMatch and most other proper software can write GPS data into DNG. DNG can contain EXIF/GPS/XMP metadata.

2.  NEF files can  also contain EXIF and GPS data, plus XMP metadata in a sidecar file.

3.  When you geo-code a NEF file in IMatch, the GPS data goes into the NEF (into the EXIF/GPS record), and also into the corresponding tags in the XMP sidecar file - as required by the Metadata Working Group.

4. When you geo-code a DNG file in IMatch, the GPS data goes into the EXIF GPS record and in copy into the XMP record embedded in the file.

5. When you geo-code a JPEG file in IMatch, the GPS data goes into the EXIF GPS record and in copy into the XMP record embedded in the file.

This sounds like you are trying to solve a problem that is none?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Maybe you could improve your workflow. I'm also shooting NEFs but converting everything to DNG.
But, I do all the geotagging at the beginning with the NEFs. It's much faster and the GPS metadata automatically propagates from there to DNG and all derived images (TIFF, Jpeg, ...)

Mario

Thanks for sending the two sample files.

Both files contain valid GPS data. The data is correctly imported by IMatch and the files show up in the map panel.
Unless you did send the wrong images, check workflow. Maybe force-rescan the files with <Shift>+<Ctrl>+<F5> if one of the other apps you use does not set the last modified file system timestamp properly or something...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

stonecherub

Close this issue, please. The problem is in my computer and my head.

All the jpg (my primary filetype) files in my IM5 database prior to 2016 show the blue symbol on the thumbnail and gps data in the metadata panel. Only some of the files batch processed after January have gps data that is not shown in the file window or metadata panel.

My new workflow will use Lightroom for geotagging, labeling and conversion between nef, dng, and jpg.

Final question: how can I say, in German, "Read the F-ing Manual?"

Thank you all, I appreciate your help, it made me take time out from the geology to learn how to really use my tools.

sinus

Quote from: stonecherub on May 25, 2016, 05:55:38 PM
Final question: how can I say, in German, "Read the F-ing Manual?"

;D ;D ;D

Well, maybe "Lies das verflixte Manual" or "Lies endlich die verdammte Anleitung." (well, usually I do not write "verdammt", because it is not a very nice word.)

Maybe other German users has better ideas, how your sentence should to be said in German!  ;D 8)

Thanks for the post, quite nice.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on May 25, 2016, 06:14:12 PM
In this ontext: I actually have a PDF document about Powershell 1.0 entitled "TFM" in reference "The F... Manual" :)

herman

In the IMatch context RTFM means of course either Read The Fine Manual or Read The Fantastic Manual! :D
Enjoy!

Herman.

Mario

I always thought the 'F' stands for 'Fabulous'...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator