[AI] Set categories for any and all images in a directory and it´s subdirectories

Started by MyMatch, September 02, 2016, 10:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyMatch

I am playing around quite a lot in IMatch 5.5 now.

I continued to assign categories to lots of old pictures.
But for lots of sub-directories, i need to select each of, then select all images and then select the categories.

It would be GREAT, if i just could right-select an directory and apply a category to each image within it and it´subdirectories.

I have lots of such things, with a main directory for for each topic or event and then lots of subdirectories for cameras (seperate downloads) or shooters, or days and so on.

If i want to give all of them one or more categories, this get realy hard to do without such a feature.

Mario

As explained in the IMatch Help System in great detail and in many places, IMatch works set-oriented. It's super-easy to assign categories to all files in a folder and it's sub-folders. Or to all files in multiple folders. Or to all files in multiple folders and their sub-folders. Or to all files on a media, a drive or even in your entire database.

All you need to do is to bring the files you want to work with into the file window - make them the scope.
Enable the hierarchical mode for the file window to see the files in the selected folder(s) and its sub-folders. Select them with Ctrl+A and then assign whatever categories you want. The same works for media, drives. the entire database, selections of categories, collections, timeline nodes, whatever.

Please read the help topic about the file window and the "File Management" topic to learn about this. It will greatly improve your workflow.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

MyMatch

Ah, great.
Found it.

I just would have expected this to be an option to the right-click onto the folder ...

Different minds tick different ...

Mario

QuoteI just would have expected this to be an option to the right-click onto the folder ...

No.

You select a folder.
How the contents of this folder are displayed, grouped and sorted is up to the file window. You control the layout, sort order order and all other aspects in the file window. And this is why you also control whether or not you see sub-folders or not in the file window.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

MyMatch

I think, this can be moved or removed ...
;-)

I gladly use the hierarchical views now :D