metadata panel and templates

Started by Joe Austin, August 09, 2013, 04:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Austin

When you are looking at the metadata panel and you apply a metadata template, shouldn't the template modification appear in the panel almost instantly?   I have been trying this and I have to do a metadata write-back to get my template changes to appear (which seems to take a lot longer than it did in 3.6).

Also, how do you identify the real tag names for the 'author' and 'creator' tags that appear in the "Core Data" section of the metadata editor.   There is a built-in metadata template for 'copyright' but I can't seem to find the appropriate tags for author and creator.  Tried the tag selector search, and thought I had found them, but what I found didn't affect the intended fields.

Mario

Metadata Templates update the metadata in the database. Depending on which data you update in your template and which tags you show in your Metadata Panel, the changes may become visible only after you have written the data to the file and ExifTool did its job to propagate your changes between IPTC; EXIF and XMP.

If you update XMP tags in your template (which you should) your changes will show up immediately in the Metadata Panel. Which tags do you modify in your template?

QuoteAlso, how do you identify the real tag names for the 'author' and 'creator' tags that appear in the "Core Data" section of the metadata editor.

Core Data is how I named one of the sections in the Default Metadata Panel layout I ship with IMatch. This section lists the most frequently used tags (Composite and XMP). Ideal for editing most data and for synchronizing with IPTC and EXIF.

The complete tag name is always displayed in the tooltip when you point the mouse cursor at a tag name.

Via the context menu you can copy the tag name and the value into the clipboard. You can also copy all tags/values as well. See the help for details.

[attachment deleted by admin]
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Joe Austin

This is a descriptions of the tags I was trying to find in the tag selector showing the tag title as viewed on the panel, the value from "Copy as Variable" and the value obtained by "Copy as Name/Value"

Core Data

Panel Title     Copy as variable                                                                                  Copy as Name/Value
------------     ----------------------------------------------                                              ------------------------------
Author          {File.MD.Composite\Creator\Creator\0}                                                 Creator   Joe Austin
Creator         {File.MD.XMP::dc\creator\Creator\0}                                                     Author   Joe Austin
Copyright      {File.MD.Composite\Copyright\Copyright\0}                                          Copyright   Joe Austin

Panel_title=Author has Name=Creator  and Panel_title=Creator has Name=Author.   Both have variable names that include creator although they come from different sources.   I'm completely confused.

I cannot find 'Composite' in the tag selector.   I have read the docs but do not understand the 'Composite' tags and how they relate to IPTC and XMP.

The issue with the tag that won't update in the panel without a metadata write-back was looking at:

Panel Title      Copy as variable                                                                                  Copy as Name/Value
------------     ----------------------------------------------                                              ------------------------------
Keywords      {File.MD.XMP::Lightroom\hierarchicalSubject\HierarchicalSubject\0}       Hierarchical Keywords

in the metadata panel.   

I had created a template that was writing to  Composite/Keywords (see image).  I had expected this template to update the panel immediately, but it only does so after the write-back.  I created a template updating hierarchical keywords and that did update the panel without a write-back.   But....  I created a template that writes to the copyright tag in the panel (composite/copyright) and that updates without a write-back.   I don't get it.

Also, while writing this post I encountered a situation where I did a write-back for all pending files, but got a message that there were no pending write-backs even though one image was clearly marked with the pending icon (see second image)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Richard

Quoteno pending write-backs even though one image was clearly marked with the pending icon

I have seen that and I believe I reported it.