Category Export

Started by Germ, June 09, 2016, 03:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Germ

Hi Folks!

If I want to export the keywords in my categories, I drag @Keywords to the Category Export on the Import and Export panel.
Both subcategopries as well as Including file allocations are checked.
I export to C:\temp\temp.imcsx and hit ok.
It responds by a messagebox that 1 category and 0 files are exported.

The resulting files contents are:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<category_schema xmlns:ptrm='http://schemas.photools.com/category_schema.xsd' vendor='photools.com' version='1.0'>
   <categories>
   </categories>

<folders>
   </folders>

<files>
   </files>
</category_schema>

There are dozens of keywords below @Keywords.
What am I doing wrong?

Regards from Holland

Germ

Mario

You cannot export data-driven categories that way.

The IMatch default category export format exports only the the 'definition' for data-driven categories. After re-importing the categories into a another database, the data-driven categories (including @Keywords) are re-run to fill them again.

IMatch only exports actual file links for regular categories.

Why do you want to export your keywords into a XML file? What do you want to achieve?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Germ

Hi Mario,

Thanks for the info.
What I want is to check if there are keywords without any files assigned to it.
Is there a way to do this apart from manually checking eacht keyword?
Regards from Holland

Germ

Mario

QuoteWhat I want is to check if there are keywords without any files assigned to it.

IMatch shows the number of files assigned to a category in both the Category View and the Category panel.
Since @Keywords is a data-driven category, it is created from the actual keywords in your files.

Set the Keep empty categories option to false for the @Keywords category and then manually refresh @Keywords once. This will remove all categories under  @Keywords which have no files (aka keywords). See the IMatch help for details.

To find all files without a keyword you can use the Metadata Value filter. Choose Hierarchical Keywords as the tag and then set the "with value" option. This shows only files with at least one value in Keywords. Invert the filter to see all files without keywords. As all filters, this works on whatever scope you bring into the file window.

You can also setup a category with a formula like "@All NOT "@Keywords" to find files which are not part of the @Keywords category hierarchy.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Germ

Hi Mario,

Thanks for your prompt answer.
I did set the Keep empty categories option to false.
My screen looks like this:
See Start.jpg

As you can see under @Keywords are 4 main groups of keywords, each with a colour code.
Then I selected @Keywords and klicked Shift-F5 to renew the data (I think that is what you mean by Manual Refresh).
After that the situation looks like End.jpg.
The colors are gone and each of the main keyword group have a new parent names after the first letter of the name of the keyword group.
Is this supposed to happen? I restored a backup to get things back to the way they were.
Regards from Holland

Germ

Mario

QuoteThe colors are gone and each of the main keyword group have a new parent names after the first letter of the name of the keyword group.
Is this supposed to happen? I restored a backup to get things back to the way they were.

This is how it should be. You have configured your @Keywords category to auto-group by the first character (1,1). This feature allows you to group large category hierarchies by the first or even the first n characters. If you don't want this, disable the feature.

Press <F1> to open the category help which explains about this and the many other features available for data-driven categories.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Germ

Hi Mario,

The auto-group setting was on indeed.
I'm beginning to learn that iMatch has many, many features one wouldn't expect at first glance.
I reset auto-group and refresh works again as expected.
Thanks for the support. All is well now over here in my iMatch  land.
Regards from Holland

Germ

Mario

QuoteI'm beginning to learn that iMatch has many, many features one wouldn't expect at first glance.

You are right. It is impossible for users to somehow 'find out' all the features in even a medium complex software. And IMatch is a pro-grade and full-fledged DAM system. I think it pays if a user looks into the IMatch help whenever he or she starts using a new feature - like @Keywords in this case, or data-driven categories in general. You might otherwise miss features which greatly improve your workflow or save time otherwise.

It's impossible to learn all about IMatch in a few days. And you don't need to. Just refresh your mind once in a while with the Visual Index, or press <F1> when you find a new feature or use something you have not used before or not for a while. Even I do that  ;D

And then, of course, there is this community. Where you always get help.
And no gear wars, 'my camera is better than yours' threads or trolling.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator