Switching Workspaces should not switch folder

Started by ubacher, March 02, 2015, 01:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

Currently the folder one is at when one stores a workspace is stored with the workspace
and set as the active folder when a workspace is called up.

Request: Do not store (and restore) the folder when storing/recalling work spaces.

Mario

The currently selected folder, category, collection etc must be stored as part of the workspace, for example because of folder-specific file window layouts, sort presets and other things. Breaking that up in order to fulfill your request will be a lot of work. I would say we need at least 50 others who also want this before I consider this. So, users: Please +1 or -1 this request.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Frank

I need the folder specific workspace. No need to that for me.
Frank

Ger

Would this be an acceptable workaround: create a small script that sets the active folder, sort preset etc according to your preferences?

sinus

+1

I changed my mind.  ::)
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Ferdinand

ubacher

Can we at least have the current folder put on the folder history!
This way one just has to click on "previous folder" to return to where one was.

Erik

+1

or perhaps +1/2 because not resetting the history for categories or folders could be enough. 

herman

I rely on the workspace / folder combination.
So a -1 from me.
Enjoy!

Herman.

Carlo Didier

+1 as for me there is absolutely no relation between my workspace layout and the current folder. My workspaces are setup for different tasks, not specific folders.

thrinn

+1
QuoteMy workspaces are setup for different tasks, not specific folders.
Same for me.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

ubacher

Let me "update" my request:

I think the best implementation would be to have another functionality called
Panel Layout which would only switch the panel layout but not change the folder.

The functionality of "Work Spaces" is needed if one wants to switch to "different" work.
Example: switching between working on images and working on audio files.

The updated request thus is:
Provide a Save/Restore panel layout functionality

Mario

Separating "Load/Store panel layouts" from "Load/Store Workspace" is technically challenging and would probably help one or two users. A workspace is mostly loading/storing panel layouts, after all. Plus some other data.

However, in 5.6.24 I have re-established the store/load functionality of the folder history, which somehow went away along the road. The "last used" folder history (and the category history) is stored on a per.-database level, not on the workspace level. For your particular R this means that you should be able to quickly re-stablish whatever folder was selected after switching to another workspace (which restores the last selected folder from that particular workspace). You can just go back in the history.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JoeHolzwurm

Sounds good, thank you.
I will have a look at that as soon as the 5.6.24 is available.