Problems with image Cache

Started by grauschaf, July 31, 2016, 01:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grauschaf

I'm using IMatch 5.6.22 and WIN10
My Problem: The cache image is not shown for most of .nef files (about 70%). This problem occured weeks ago for only a few of the nef files. In these cases update of the image cache solved the problem. At the moment nothing helps. I tried the command <cache> <Rebuild> and the images are visible for a second and then only the placeholder symbol appears. No usefull work with IMatch possible at the moment!  >:(

sinus

Have you checked the cache-folder, if it is the right one?
see in the Info-panel, like my attachement.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

Please always attach an IMatch log file (ZIPped, please) if you encounter problems.
If IMatch cannot load or save cache files, it will report that in the log file with details.

Just in case: Do you have working WIC codecs installed for your .NEF files?
Nikon has about 50 different .NEF variants in use today, and the built-in codecs in Windows for the NEF-Format may not support your NEF variant.

See: http://www.photools.com/1167/wic-support-codec-availability/

Run a WIC diagnosis for one of your NEF files.
Select it in a file window, then Help > Support > WIC diagnosis.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

grauschaf

Thank you for your help  :)
I remember that I had problems with codecs in the past. Currently the WICDiag tells me that the files are displayed with Microsoft Camera Raw Decoder -> "RESULT: A codec for this file format is installed and it looks like it fully supports the format." But I have also installed the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack. Maybe two different Codeck Packs might cause the problem. But I have no idea haow to uninstall the microsoft codecs. What do you think about that?

I'm using FastPictureViewer Codec Pack 3.8.0.96 and WIN10

I will attach the report IMatch_WICDiag.txt.

Mario

The codecs are OK and can load your NEF files. This is not the source of your problem.

Switch IMatch to debug logging: Help > Support > Debug logging.
Please try to re-create a cache image for one of the files which failed (select file, then <Shift>+<Ctrl>+<F5> and then "Update Cache only".
Attach the log file produced by IMatch in that session. If loading or writing cache files fails, we'll get more info.

Multiple codecs is not a problem. Windows "picks" one when IMatch asks "Get me the codec for this format". On your machine, the Microsoft codec is chosen.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

grauschaf

Hi Mario
Today I imported 13 files inti IMatch and only one failed (_D619089.nef). I switched to Debug Log Mode selected the picture without the cache image made "update cache only". No cache image was build. I turned the log mode to "normal".

In the file viewer a have a similar problem: There a always some pictures which could not be displayed by IMatch ("This file cannot be displayed"). Closing and opening the viewer -> other pictures makes that problem. Maybe this problem has something to do with my cache problem.

I hope you see the reason of my problem in the logfile.

Gerd

Mario

Creating a cache image is one thing, later loading the cache image (JPG) into the viewer is a different thing. You did not include a log file with the Viewer problem so I have not enough info.

The attached log file shows that the 3rd party image library reported a problem while loading the NEF file.

E:\Fotos\0-Import\2016-08-06_028-ViewNX\_D619089.NEF

The error message is unfortunately meaningless: Error 1 (no error reported). This can mean many things.

About a minute later, the file is loaded without problems. The cache image is created with

E:\Fotos\0-Import\2016-08-06_028-ViewNX\_D619089.NEF with 6016 x 4016 (O: 6048 x 4016) in 343ms

Do you perhaps run other software which may temporary block files, thus preventing IMatch from accessing them?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

grauschaf

Hi Mario

I use the Nikon Image Viewer (ViewNX) and leave it open while importing pictures into IMatch. Next time I will close ViewNX. I will tell you the results.

grauschaf

Hi Mario

Have been in Hollidays for a while and now I'm trying to import my NEF-Files into IMatch. The first imported Folder works fine. Only about 5% of the pics are with out cache image. The next folders are getting worse. Nearly 100% without cache image. Restart IMatch makes it better for a while. There is no other application running at the moment.
I tried to rescan _D611405.NEF with 'Update Cache only' and with 'Force Update' and failed  :-\
I will attach the two logfiles. You can see a lot more error messages in these files.

I would appreciate your help very mutch. No fun working with IMatch at the moment (doesn't mean that IMatch is the wrongdoer  ;)).

Gerd

Mario

All your NEF files fail to import.

Did you install Windows Anywhere Update recently and do you use the Fast Picture Viewer codecs?
If so, re-install the codecs and reboot.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Erik

The problems you have seem to be a repeating problem with the FastPictureViewer Codec.  From what I see this isn't IMatch's problem as it happens in Windows Explorer and other software that relies on WIC codecs.  I've seen reports of similar on other forums for other software (e.g. Canon and Pentax forums and their own software).

The issue seems to have started with the Windows 10 anniversary update.  The only solution that has worked is to uninstall FastPictureViewer codecs (reboot) and then reinstall the codecs (reboot).  Afterward, you'll likely need to rescan your folders with a forced rescan (or perhaps just rebuild the cache). 

My guess is that Windows 10 update must have overwritten, removed, reset something related to WIC (probably in an update of its own codec) which breaks the FastPictureViewer codecs in the process. 

Mario has suggested this isn't a common problem, and he may be right as the number of reports here has been limited, but I do see it elsewhere on the net, and it occurred for all three computers that I have the codec installed on; one is a work computer where I don't have IMatch, just Windows Explorer.

grauschaf

I uninstalled and re-installed the FastPictureViewer Codecs. That seems to solve my problem. The final "all-clear" might be the next time when I import an amount of files into IMatch. Working with IMatch is fun again. Thanks to Mario and Eric  :)