Virtual rotate takes 90 seconds when file locked? in photoshop

Started by ubacher, August 07, 2016, 09:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

I translated some raw files in photoshop NEF --> jpg. (Photoshop ACR produces xmp files)
I then re-scanned the folder to load the jpgs (I use manual rescan).
When I tried  a virtual rotate on a just loaded jpg file - with photoshop still open - the rotate would take
90 seconds!!

Closing photoshop (CC 2015) solved the problem.

I knew that I could not do renames within Imatch when photoshop was (still) open.
In this new case I first thought that Imatch hung.

I attach the log file although it does not shed light on the problem.
At 9:31:27

Mario

A virtual rotate is a super-fast database-internal update.
Basically IMatch updates a record in your database and then reloads the file from the cache.

Since this is a NEF file I assume that there is already a cache file and IMatch does not need to touch the original file at all.
Without a log file in debug mode, I cannot tell more.

Besides: Keeping Lr or PS running (or any other Adobe software) will cause all kinds of strange effects, file locks, creation and deleting of short-lived temporary files triggering Windows file system notifications which then cause IMatch to rescan the folder. It's basically unpredictable. I have long since made it a habit to close Lr and PS when I work in other software, especially when the other software needs to process the same files as these Adobe products. Adobe products are not written to be cooperative, unfortunately.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook