On-line Release notes for IMatch

Started by Mario, July 24, 2016, 07:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

John

thrinn

I agree. To have a peep hole into the future is a very nice enhancement. And so much easier than scanning all "solved for next version" postings.

I like the combination of visual hint (icon) and corresponding description for the type of change/enhancement / fix. Especially the "breaking change" mark could be important.

One minor thing: If community posts are referenced like in 2. Folder History,it would be nice to have them as hyperlinks,
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

hro

Very nice. I like it.
I look forward to the new release, good tweaks and improvements.

ianrr

Nice.  :)  .  one thing I would like to see is a projected release date for the latest update.  Even something like " approx 1 week away"  ... "a few weeks away" give some insight into when it may happen.

Ian

Frank

Mario

Quote from: ianrr on July 25, 2016, 02:01:47 AM
Nice.  :)  .  one thing I would like to see is a projected release date for the latest update.  Even something like " approx 1 week away"  ... "a few weeks away" give some insight into when it may happen.

Ian
I could ad a "within the next year, or so" on top if you like  ;)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

Quote from: thrinn on July 24, 2016, 09:17:24 PM
One minor thing: If community posts are referenced like in 2. Folder History,it would be nice to have them as hyperlinks,
This feature already exists, links to topics are shown at the bottom of release note entries. For the one you mention, I've just had forgotten to add the link topic. Done now.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

ianrr

"I could add a "within the next year, or so" on top if you like"  ...   :) not necessary  ....

Mees Dekker

I also like it.

And the idea of introducing some planning agenda would be great. There are lots of feature request pending and it would be nice to see whether you plan to do them at all, and if so: when.

Mario

I'm definitely not planning to do all feature requests. Some of the requests have not even a single like and would cost me weeks to implement.
There are 66 FR with more than 1 like. 24 with more than 3 likes. Some of them have already been implemented but I have not yet moved them.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mees Dekker

Mario

you probably have misread my post; I certainly did not suggest that you implement all FR's.

My point is, can you give any indication which FR's you do plan to implement and for those FR's: with what release and when?

Mees

Mario

Quote from: Mees Dekker on July 26, 2016, 07:59:36 PM
My point is, can you any indication which FR's do you plan to implement and for those FR's: with what release and when?
No, and no. If you want to prioritize a specific feature request, make a post tin the general discussion to tell other users about it. They can then like it to move it up in the list. Feature requests with many likes are more likely to be implemented, naturally.

I have implemented 3 requests from the FR list for the next release, and two requests which came in from a local user group and an institutional customer. Small things like the small request from sinus (allow to select the stack color in auto stacking) are implemented along the way, if they are quick to do and I see benefits for more than a handful of users.

I'm currently very busy working on the future of IMatch (IMatch AnywhereTM, with IMatch WebServicesTM and IMatch Web ViewerTM) which is a truly massive development. I plan to roll this technology out in September, and also the new photools.com server farm and the new customer portal. This needs to be synchronized. The technology I have developed for IMatch WebServices will also soon become an integral part of IMatch for Windows, creating new and fast ways to implement new features for IMatch using today's latest web technologies.

As you can see in the release notes, I'm also working on IMatch for Windows and you can see what to expect from the 5.6.24 release. Two new entries added to the release notes today.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

BanjoTom

Quite helpful, indeed!! Thanks, Mario . . .
— Tom, in Lexington, Kentucky, USA

DigPeter

Excellent idea to give a view of the future.

Photon

Such informative release note information demonstrates the very good version and product life cycle management of Imatch. Thanks!

A minor point: Scrolling
Scrolling on this can be a little bit confusing, depending on the position of the mouse cursor.
If you are with your mouse either outside or inside of the release information, the scrolling effect is different. Why these two effects?
I do not understand, why the release frame has a scroll bar, because this frame is anyhow very high.

By default the header area is very big and only 50 % of the visible browser area is filled with release information.
So 1st the visitor has to scroll with "mouse outside" this release information area upwards.
Then, 2nd he has to scroll with "mouse inside" in this release information area. Looks like this could be implemented better.

Regards Martin
| IMatch v5.5.8 + Win7proN64bit | Lumix, Pentax |
| ExifTool, ImageMagick, GeoSetter | JPhotoTagger, MusicBee | CaptureOne, LightRoom | jAlbum, WingsPlatinum, Mobjects |

Mario

The design of the site has not changed. It's a mobile-friendly, adaptive custom Wordpress template.

The customer portal is linked into the existing site as a separate frame, and when the length of the content to display exceeded 2000 pixels, a separate scroll bar will be displayed for the customer portal section. You can then independently scroll both areas if needed.
This is inevitable and only happens in the release notes, not for downloads or my data or anything.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

mastodon

Excellent idea! Very nice to see the new features in details, and how to use them. :D Thank you

Mario

Always improving  :)

There are even how-to videos now! For installing and configuring IMatch Anywhere. The Beta testers liked them and found them very helpful.

I plan to add more how-to videos for all things IMatch and IMatch Anywhere over time.
The software for recording and editing proper video tutorials was not cheap and I plan to get a lot out of it. And of my new-learned skills as a presenter  :o ;)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

mastodon

How-to-do videos are a must for new and/or slow-witted users like I am. I am waiting for them for years! And I saw the new features of the Viewer window and face tagging. Ich bin entzückend. :)

Mario

QuoteHow-to-do videos are a must for new and/or slow-witted users like I am. I am waiting for them for years!

I'm not Adobe or Microsoft. I don't have dedicated departments with dozens of people who only produce videos and tutorials the entire day. When I make a video, I cannot answer support emails or community posts or work on the next release of IMatch...

Why don't you just make a video about the IMatch features you have understood and post it on YouTube. Others can then learn from you!  :)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator