File Viewer window does not automatically refresh when dragged to second display

Started by Aubrey, August 08, 2016, 12:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

I'm working with dual displays. I've noticed the following for a long time, not a real issue, but I don't see it documented, so perhaps it's my setup.

When I view an image in the file viewer window and then drag the file viewer window to another display I get the on screen message "loading....", but the image never refreshes.

The workaround is to close the viewer and then go to image in the main IMatch window and hit enter key, then the file viewer opens in the display it had been dragged to in the previous operation and the image comes up fine.

Is this intended behavior? Am I missing some preference? Does anybody else see this behavior?

Thanks,
Aubrey.

Mario

This worked before IMatch switched to DirectX in 5.5.
Now sometimes the DirectX subsystem fails to restart when IMatch asks it to after noticing that you moved the Viewer window to another monitor. This seems to depend on many factors, mostly the graphic card driver...

But

This is not many users will ever do. Or not so often that it becomes a problem
DirectX is written for speed, games and animation. That's what makes panning and zooming so fast in the Viewer  :)
Handling fringe cases like the main DirectX display window of an application being moved to another monitor without closing and re-opening the window is probably rather uncommon and hence not on top of their prio list.

I may look again into it for a later release, but from what I can tell I do everything as documented when the Viewer  notices that it is suddenly on another monitor - DirectX may just not follow. Or the graphic card driver or firmware has a problem that manifests itself in such a situation. The innovation speed and product cycles with graphic cards are so high, the vendors never have the time to finalize drivers or fix all bugs...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Quote from: Mario on August 08, 2016, 01:21:17 PM

Now sometimes the DirectX subsystem fails to restart when IMatch asks it to after noticing that you moved the Viewer window to another monitor. This seems to depend on many factors, mostly the graphic card driver...

But

This is not many users will ever do. Or not so often that it becomes a problem

Agreed there are more important things...

Thanks,
Aubrey.