Data-Driven Categories, using OTHER with 2 levels or more

Started by JohnZeman, August 11, 2013, 05:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnZeman

I'm having some trouble understanding just how the Other element is supposed to work in a data-driven category when that DD category has more than one level.  For example I have my first level set up to show only folders that contain the word Keepers1, and that works as expected.  Then in level two I want to show the images in the level 1 folders that do not have a city defined in the Composite\City\City\0 metadata field so I've enabled the Other element in level 2 as indicated in the screenshots below.

I would expect a category called !NO CITY to be visible in any of the level 1 folder name categories which shows the images in that folder without a city entered but there is no !NO CITY subcategory name at all even though I know I have some images in those folders without a city defined.

On the other hand, if I enable OTHER on level 1, then all folder names that do not include the word Keepers1 are displayed in the level 1 OTHER folder along with the images without a city in the level 2 categories.  Level 1 OTHER folder does not have a level two to it.   I've read and reread the help page on this subject but obviously I'm missing something. ???

In the end all I really want to do is to show the images in a particular folder or category that are missing certain user entered metadata, such as location info.  I know I can do this with a filter, but it seems like I could do this with a DD category too.

[attachment deleted by admin]

BenAW

To me the Other element makes it possible to have the NEXT level for all Folders in your case.
You have just created a !No CITY category under categories that contain no City to make a placeholder for the next level like eg. Street.

I think just using the first level to have all folders with Keepers1 in their name and then filtering on images without City in their metadata is simpler?

JohnZeman

Quote from: BenAW on August 11, 2013, 06:10:06 PM
To me the Other element makes it possible to have the NEXT level for all Folders in your case.
You have just created a !No CITY category under categories that contain no City to make a placeholder for the next level like eg. Street.

I think just using the first level to have all folders with Keepers1 in their name and then filtering on images without City in their metadata is simpler?

That's the conclusion I'm coming to as well Ben.  In fact I seem to be getting the exact results I want using only the filter module.  It just seemed like I should be able to do this with a DD category too.

I'll blame Lightroom for my foray into this topic.  Lightroom lets me configure smart collections that do will this and I thought I might be able to do it with only data-driven categories in IM5.  But the IM5 filter module seems to be the one I want to use in this particular instance. ;)

Thanks for your input Ben. :)

cytochrome

Quote from: BenAW on August 11, 2013, 06:10:06 PM

Maybe it is semantic (linguistic?) but I don't follow you... In my Where category I have a level 4  "Location" with "LOC?" as name for for Other.

All (??) files without a Location entry are found in the LOC? category. I thought it works as per the Help?

And thanks to John, I had not realized that one could setup complex category "traps" like his, mixing unrelated tags.

Francis

BenAW

Quote from: cytochrome on August 11, 2013, 07:35:32 PM
Maybe it is semantic (linguistic?) but I don't follow you... In my Where category I have a level 4  "Location" with "LOC?" as name for for Other.
All (??) files without a Location entry are found in the LOC? category. I thought it works as per the Help?
Exactly. If you have a 5th level the files that don't have a Location can still be part of the dd category and show the data they may have in that 5th level.
Without using Other those files wouldn't even show up in the Location level.