Changing languages

Started by hluxem, September 02, 2016, 02:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hluxem

Yesterday I saw in the database diagnostics that I have some categories with errors. It turned out to be categories based on annotations. I then realized that these categories were based on collections. I changed the interface language some weeks ago and the collection names changed, so my formulas were invalid after. Not a big deal, I switched back and the errors are gone. Just thought a hint in the help file or even better in the message box before switching the language can be added so that users know category formulas may have an issues.

Mario

I would consider this a very unusual situation. The collection names used in formulas are usually the internal names, which don't change when you switch the user interface language. When I look at the parser for category formulas, it uses the internal name, which is hard coded and does not change when the UI name of the collection changes.

Please give me more details to work with. Which collections did you use? How do your formulas look like etc. Did you manually create the formulas or did you use the formula assistant?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

hluxem

It certainly is an  unusual situation and I don't think it is worth to change the behavior. I just changed the language out of curiosity.
I merely wanted to point out that this happens and think its worth a hint in the help file or message box because a change of the user interface languages impacts the database as well.

I used the formula assistant, here is what the formula looks when created in English:
"@Collection[Annotations|Region|Face|Heiner]"
In German it is created as:
"@Collection[Anmerkungen|Region|Gesicht|Heiner]"

When the user interface language is changed, the formulas are not translated and not working anymore.

Mario

Ah, that's special.

1. Collections based on Annotations
2. Annotation Collections based on Fade Regions
3. Face Region base name is localized and thus swaps when the user changes the language after creating faces already.

This is totally dynamic and outside the control of IMatch. I can only go as far.
Before I look into this and start spreading confusion in the user base by sprinkling hints about this into the help (where would YOU have looked for a hint about this in the help?) I'll wait until at least several users have had this problem. Then we can determine where these users would have looked in the help, and then we'll know where to place the hint you are suggesting.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook