Please try to download the licensed version of IMatch

Started by Mario, September 06, 2016, 10:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

Hi, users

can you please log into the new customer portal

https://www.photools.com/customer/

and download the (current) IMatch 5.6.22 version.

Just download and then verify that the downloaded file is complete by double-clicking the file. DO NOT install it again. If the installer starts without error message, we know that the download was successful and the file is complete. You can abort the installation right there.

Alternatively compare the SHA-1 checksum of the downloaded file with the checksum shown in the customer portal.

One user has reported continuing problems with the download, but neither I nor the users I asked to download the licensed version can reproduce the issue.
The user with the problem is from Canada so if there are Canadian users out there, please let me know if you have troubles as well.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

herman

Just downloaded the file without problems.
The installer starts normally, I stopped it when it put up the "modify, change or delete" window.
So no problems in this part of the world (Eastern part of The Netherlands).
Enjoy!

Herman.

axel.hennig

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

BanjoTom

— Tom, in Lexington, Kentucky, USA

pajaro

sinus

Works here fine.

The only thing, what I BELIEVE (not sure) is, that the download "line" (what normally does run to the right), was completely filled and there is no info about the estimated time.
(in the browser download info and in the download folder)
See attachement.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

pajaro

Quote from: sinus on September 06, 2016, 10:50:20 PM
The only thing, what I BELIEVE (not sure) is, that the download "line" (what normally does run to the right), was completely filled and there is no info about the estimated time.

Yes, I noticed the same thing, but the file worked fine.

Mario

Quote from: sinus on September 06, 2016, 10:50:20 PM
Works here fine.

See attachement.
That's normal when the browser cannot figure out the size of the download in advance.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

hro

Worked like a charm, very fast download this time, could open the app without a problem.
I just got a warning again that the application is not coming from a certified publisher. I remember we had this before.

Great to have the entire website on https now.
Thanks Mario.

Mario

QuoteI just got a warning again that the application is not coming from a certified publisher. I remember we had this before.

Where did you get that message from?
Your browser?
I don't even know what a certified publisher is. Certified by whom?

The download is protected and validated using my personal Microsoft Authenticode certificate. This is as safe and authentic as it can be.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

hro

I got it when I ran the installer.
I should re-phrase, wasn't precise. The message was something like ... this application is from an unknown publisher, do you want to install ... and the default action was 'No'.
I can re-download and run the installer again if you want me to to get the exact message.

Mario

When you right-click the file and open the Properties dialog, does Windows show my certificate? Is it shown as valid?

I just downloaded the file and when I run the installer and the Windows UAC prompt shows up, it shows my name as the verified publisher and also my certificate.
Not an unknown publisher.
It is unfortunately impossible to make a screen shot of the UAC prompt.

Try to clean up your TEMP folder, it may contain rubbish from other installs.
Sometimes the certificate shows up with a delay, e.g. when you install from a slow network connection.
Try to copy the file to the desktop before you run it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jch2103

No issues with download of 5.6.22; I didn't bother to try installing. Download seems to be faster than before, as noted by others (Colorado, USA).

File properties (Digital Signature Details) lists Mario as signer.

John

hro

This is what I see.
If I tick the 'Unblock' field in the Properties I can run the installer without the Windows warning.

Cheers. Hartmut

Panther

Mario - the D/L went fine, but when I ran the file I got the attached "unknown publisher" popup message from Windows 10.

I deleted everything I could in my Temp folder (a couple of them were still in use by McAfee), tried running it again and got the same popup message.

I tried right-clicking on the file and telling to run as an administrator but got the same popup message.

I checked the "properties" on the file but while it showed you as the copyright owner on the details tab I could't find anything that talked about the certificate or digital signature or publisher as such.

I tried copying the file to the desktop and then running it, but got same popup message.

Didn't ever tell it to run anyway, as I didn't want it to install again, but I can do that if it would help.

herman

I see that there are some reports about a Windows Smart Screen warning.
That is weird, Smart Screen is a Windows 10 mechanism.
On my PC (a brand new one, I am still configuring it) I run Win 10 Home.
Last weekend I installed IM 5.6.22 without encountering the Smart Screen warning, didn't see it either when I ran the test per your request.
I just checked the Smart Screen option on my machine, it is set to 'On'.
Don't know if this piece of information is of any help.......

Enjoy!

Herman.

Mario

Quote from: hro on September 07, 2016, 12:38:07 AM
This is what I see.
If I tick the 'Unblock' field in the Properties I can run the installer without the Windows warning.
Cheers. Hartmut

I just downloaded the file again. When I right-click to show the properties of the file and then switch to the Security tab, I see that the file has a valid certificate:

When I click on the details, I see the Details of my Symantec Authenticode certificate (which verifies that I'm me and costs me several hundred dollars every two years):

You should see the same.
And I develop and test IMatch 5 on Windows 10. I have never seen a smart screen warning...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

Quote from: herman on September 07, 2016, 08:10:24 AM
I see that there are some reports about a Windows Smart Screen warning.
That is weird, Smart Screen is a Windows 10 mechanism.
On my PC (a brand new one, I am still configuring it) I run Win 10 Home.
Last weekend I installed IM 5.6.22 without encountering the Smart Screen warning, didn't see it either when I ran the test per your request.
I just checked the Smart Screen option on my machine, it is set to 'On'.
Don't know if this piece of information is of any help.......

Smart Screen can be bogus. Microsoft states states somewhere that the "SmartScreen warning is displayed even for signed applications until the certificate develops reputation". By this Microsoft means that they monitor applications installed on computers via their smart screen service and send data home to the MS servers. If an application is not installed tens of thousands of times, Smart Screen may display a warning still. All that works in favor of the big application vendors of course, another subtle feature to make the big vendors bigger.

What puzzles me is that SmartScreen seems to fail to detect the perfectly valid certificate in the installer. The installer has been created with Microsoft and InstallShield official tools and the certificate is properly embedded and valid.

Do the users with the SmartScreen warning see the certificate in the file (right-click in Explorer then "Digital Signatures"...?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

hro

Nope.  I don't even see the Digital Certificates tab,  see my screenshot above. It almost looks that Windosw treats that file completely different on my machine compared to yours.

Hartmut

Mario

Very strange. Did you try to Unblock the file (see the unblock option near the bottom of the dialog).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

hro

Yes I did.  After unblocking the  installer would run without the warning. But the cerificate tab wouldn't show either.

Tallpics

Download and install test OK for me in Guernsey, Channel Islands  :)

Mario

Quote from: hro on September 07, 2016, 11:16:44 AM
Yes I did.  After unblocking the  installer would run without the warning. But the cerificate tab wouldn't show either.
Can you verify the checksum of the file? You can use the free Microsoft FCIV tool for it:

https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/kb/841290

use it like

fciv.exe -sha1 imatch_5_6_22.exe

The checksum produced by this tool must match the checksum shown in the customer portal.

If the checksum is identical but Windows does not show the embedded certificate, something seems to be messed up on your system. A riddle only Microsoft can solve.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

hro

Yes I can do.  But I am traveling tomorrow,  so can only test it on Friday.

Mario

It's not urgent.

But I pay a lot of money for my Authenticode certificate each year, and it also requires extra effort in the product shipment workflow to sign and authenticate everything. I do all this especially to avoid such "unknown publisher" warnings. And of course for my commercial users who won't even allow a unsigned installer through their firewalls.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

percythomas

Mario, the download & install worked just fine for me (in Canada).

Regards

ddprat

I tried to download imatch_5_6_22.exe 2 times: the first time it stopped at 63Mo, the second at 55Mo without error or warning !

Panther

Quote from: Mario on September 07, 2016, 08:56:07 AM

Do the users with the SmartScreen warning see the certificate in the file (right-click in Explorer then "Digital Signatures"...?

I do not get any sort of "Digital Signatures" tab or info when I right click and go through the "Properties" information (running Win 10 Pro).  My right-click window looks like the attached.  The "Security" tab shown in that Properties dialog box only displays a bunch of info about the admin accounts and permissions on my PC - nothing about the iMatch program itself or any digital signatures or certificates.  Is there another "Properties"-related place I should be looking for this info?

[EDIT] - I just tried going back to the first time I D/L'ed the file, and when I right click and do properties on it I do get a different dialog box that does have the "Digital Signature" tab/info.  I don't know why, but I guess that the fact that the second time I D/L'ed the file (for this test) a "(1)" was added to the file name seems to be being treated as some sort of modification to the file that causes a different "properties" box to open.  I'll try moving the old files out and D/L'ing the latest one again and see if that changes things.

[EDIT] - OK, I'm totally confused now.  I D/L'ed the file again after moving the old copies out, so it still has it's proper name, but now when I right click and check the properties I get the same, simple version of the Properties dialog box that I first attached, not the more detailed one that I get when I right click on the old copy I D/L'ed originally when this version came out.  When I right click on the originally-D/L'ed file, I get the digital signature info tab, shown on the second attachment hereto (and I've changed the name of that file but still get that info, so my guess about the second D/L having been renamed as being part of the problem seems to have been incorrect).  Oh, and trying to run the latest copy I D/L'ed still gives me the same SmartScreen warning.

Mario

The first dialog shows the "Unblock" option so Windows has this file blocked. Maybe that's a reason.

I have downloaded the file using my text user using Edge, Chrome and Firefox.
I downloaded into three different folders and even renamed the downloaded file to include today's date (changing the file name does not affect the validity of the file or the certificate).
I always see the Digital Certificate tab, on all three downloaded files.

I've also checked the downloaded files with Microsoft's official signtool (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8s9b9yaz(VS.80).aspx) using the

signtool verify /pa imatch_5_6_22.exe

command line. The file was verified successfully.

To be extra sure I used sysinternals sigcheck tool (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897441.aspx) to check the validity of the certificate embedded in the file. This test also showed a valid certificate - and thus an unmodified file.

To be on the extra safe side, I uploaded the file to virustotal.com (https://virustotal.com). Google not only checks if the file has any viruses but also check for a valid Authenticode certificate:

Click to enlarge.

This is as good as it gets. Safe and validated.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Panther

Quote from: Mario on September 07, 2016, 07:01:34 PM
The first dialog shows the "Unblock" option so Windows has this file blocked. Maybe that's a reason.

I assume that the "blocked" thing in the properties dialog box was probably the same thing that was causing SmartScreen to choke, so I unticked the blocked box in the properties screen and applied the change and closed the box.  I tried right clicking/properties again, thinking it might show me the more detailed version with the digital signature tab, but it still showed me the simpler version without that tab.  Then I tried running the file - I didn't get the SmartScreen blocking message this time, but I did get a different error message (see attached).  Clicking "ok" on that message just makes the error message go away and the install doesn't proceed.

So, I tried to D/L the file again - but the speed was so slow (about 1/4 what it had been before) that I canceled that D/L and started a new one.  That one went pretty quickly.  But rightclick/properties on this latest one also just shows me the simpler version without the digital signature tab/info, and trying to run the file (without unblocking it in Properties) gives me the same SmartScreen blockage.  This time, I told SmartScreen to go ahead and run the file anyway, and it gave me the same error message as above (see attached).

Mario

The downloaded file is incomplete, corrupted or has been tampered with.
Please check your system for potential virus problems.

This would also explain why the certificate does not show.
You should upload the downloaded file to www.virustotal.com to let it check. If it has been infected by something on your system, this should show it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Panther

Quote from: Mario on September 07, 2016, 08:53:47 PM
The downloaded file is incomplete, corrupted or has been tampered with.
Please check your system for potential virus problems.

This would also explain why the certificate does not show.
You should upload the downloaded file to www.virustotal.com to let it check. If it has been infected by something on your system, this should show it.

Just ran a complete virus scan on my PC yesterday (w/McAfee) - no reported problems. Virustotal reports no virus/problems found with the latest iMatch file I D/L'ed above.  However, the SHA1 checksum they show is different from the one on the iMatch customer portal download page.

I'll try D/L'ing again.

[EDIT] - maybe some issue with my Chrome browser and downloading today?  All 3 of the last D/L attempts have resulted in different file sizes.  Trying it one more time, then going to try D/L'ing it with FireFox, just to see if that matters.

Mario

Do that. If the SHA-1 checksum of the does not match the f1e...586, it is incomplete or has been tampered with. I use three layers to ensure the validity of files: SHA1-1, Authenticode Certificate and the build-in routines in InstallShield. All seem to fail with your downloads, which is highly unusual.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Panther

Quote from: Mario on September 07, 2016, 09:22:41 PM
Do that. If the SHA-1 checksum of the does not match the f1e...586, it is incomplete or has been tampered with. I use three layers to ensure the validity of files: SHA1-1, Authenticode Certificate and the build-in routines in InstallShield. All seem to fail with your downloads, which is highly unusual.

Maybe there is something going on with my machine today - all the last 5 or 6 attempts (mix of Chrome and Firefox) have resulted in different size files being D/L'ed.

Gonna reboot and re-run virus scan and see if I can figure it out.

[EDIT] Don't know what to say at this point Mario - after rebooting, scanning my PC with both Windows Defender and McAfee, and updating both Chrome and FireFox, every time I try to D/L the file from the customer portal with either browser it fails.  No error messages or anything, but the D/L always stops after between about 16 and 38 MB as if it had finished properly, but obviously those D/L files were incomplete/corrupted.  But I then tried D/L'ing several other files from various other sites that I had previously D/L'ed and so still had valid copies to compare, several of which files were between 250 and 380 MB, and all those D/L's worked just fine and the resulting files D/L'ed matched the previous D/L copies and worked/installed just fine.  So, the only D/L problem I seem to be having at the moment is with this iMatch file.

Mario

In which country do you live?
Do you use a proxy sever? Downloads aborting at various sizes are usually caused by timeouts or a proxy server acting up.
Did you try to clear the cache of your browser (Shift+Del)? Browsers may reuse parts already downloaded and thus corrupting future downloads as well.
Did you try to temporarily disable virus checkers (only during the download)?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Panther

Quote from: Mario on September 08, 2016, 10:02:36 AM
In which country do you live?

USA (Georgia)

Do you use a proxy sever? Downloads aborting at various sizes are usually caused by timeouts or a proxy server acting up.

No

Did you try to temporarily disable virus checkers (only during the download)?

Yes - didn't help though.

Did you try to clear the cache of your browser (Shift+Del)? Browsers may reuse parts already downloaded and thus corrupting future downloads as well.

Yes (in response to your reply - sorry I didn't think about doing that earlier) - that seems to have worked, at least for Chrome - just D/L'ed the file and it came out OK this time. 

Haven't tried it with FireFox yet, and I'm not sure why FireFox (which I hadn't used for several months before these tests) would have had a problem the first time it tried since it shouldn't have had anything relevant in its cache, but at least it's working now in Chrome. 

Mario

With " it came out OK this time.  " you mean that the file is complete and the checksum matches and the digital signature is also visible in the properties dialog?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

hro

Quote from: Mario on September 07, 2016, 11:37:23 AM
Quote from: hro on September 07, 2016, 11:16:44 AM
Can you verify the checksum of the file? You can use the free Microsoft FCIV tool for it:

https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/kb/841290

use it like

fciv.exe -sha1 imatch_5_6_22.exe

The checksum produced by this tool must match the checksum shown in the customer portal.

If the checksum is identical but Windows does not show the embedded certificate, something seems to be messed up on your system. A riddle only Microsoft can solve.

So, I just did that check and get a different checksum. See attached screenshots.
I've downloaded this file now 3 times, the download completed always without problems and was very fast. I didn't actually go ahead and installed it, but run the app until I got the Microsoft warning as reported above.

Mario

I have no idea. I don't ever recall such issues.

Is the checksum always the same?
Does virustotal report anything unusual when you upload the file?
Can you upload _your_ file somwhere I can download it?

The downloader code is the same we used for almost 3 years on the old download center. Nothing changed.
How can a file have a different checksum but the digital signature is OK and InstallShield does not break when you run the Installer?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

hro

Quote from: Mario on September 09, 2016, 12:11:46 AM

The downloader code is the same we used for almost 3 years on the old download center. Nothing changed.
How can a file have a different checksum but the digital signature is OK and InstallShield does not break when you run the Installer?

The checksum appears to be always the same
I ran Virustotal and that came back clean. See screenshot.
I email you a link where you can download the file separately.

hro

I did a few more tests:

1. Downloaded the 5.6.20 version, experienced exactly the same, i.e. unknown publisher etc.
2. I went ahead and tried to install 5.6.22 (remember, this is already installed on my machine). The installer came back with an error, see attached screenshot.

Panther

Quote from: Mario on September 08, 2016, 04:33:33 PM
With " it came out OK this time.  " you mean that the file is complete and the checksum matches and the digital signature is also visible in the properties dialog?

Well, not sure about the checksum - I saw that the file was the same size on my disk as the original one I D/L'ed when it was released, and I saw that it gave me the more detailed properties screen with the digital signature info, but I did not check the checksum.  I tried to do that just now, but when I tried to have Virustotal check it and give me the checksum like it did before, it kept telling me the file had already been scanned by them before (even after I changed the name of the file to try to get it to look at this specific copy) and kept giving me the checksum that was wrong/different like before.  I'm trying to find where you gave another way of checking the checksum, but I haven't found it yet.

BTW - I just noticed that although the properties box is the more detailed one with the digital signature info, it's still telling me it's been blocked and giving me the choice to unblock it.  (But when I try to run it (without unblocking it in the properties box) I don't get the SmartScreen blocking message - it starts the installer routine like I assume it should).

Mario

Quote from: hro on September 09, 2016, 01:38:57 AM
I did a few more tests:

1. Downloaded the 5.6.20 version, experienced exactly the same, i.e. unknown publisher etc.
2. I went ahead and tried to install 5.6.22 (remember, this is already installed on my machine). The installer came back with an error, see attached screenshot.

This clearly indicates that your download is incomplete or corrupted.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

Quote from: Panther on September 09, 2016, 01:49:03 AM
Quote from: Mario on September 08, 2016, 04:33:33 PM

Well, not sure about the checksum - I saw that the file was the same size on my disk as the original one I D/L'ed when it was released, and I saw that it gave me the more detailed properties screen with the digital signature info, but I did not check the checksum.  I tried to do that just now, but when I tried to have Virustotal check it and give me the checksum like it did before, it kept telling me the file had already been scanned by them before (even after I changed the name of the file to try to get it to look at this specific copy) and kept giving me the checksum that was wrong/different like before.  I'm trying to find where you gave another way of checking the checksum, but I haven't found it yet.

BTW - I just noticed that although the properties box is the more detailed one with the digital signature info, it's still telling me it's been blocked and giving me the choice to unblock it.  (But when I try to run it (without unblocking it in the properties box) I don't get the SmartScreen blocking message - it starts the installer routine like I assume it should).

Virustotal.com identifies uploaded files by their checksum and thus knows if a file has already been uploaded and tested. Their checksum will vary from the SHA-1 checkum I list next to the download.

The checksum is not really needed because the digital signature in the file has the same purpose: 1. To guarantee that the file is complete and unmodified and 2. that it has been created and published by me. InstallShield also creates another checksum and checks it when extracting the MSI file before installing. If the checkums fail, InstallShield shows the message shown in the post above.

That a file has been blocked on your PC because it has been downloaded from the Internet is a Windows feature that kicks in when you download 'active' files (executable files, installers) from the Internet. Microsoft wants to protect you from accidentally download and running a potentially harmful file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

hro

Quote from: hro on September 09, 2016, 12:36:31 AM
Quote from: Mario on September 09, 2016, 12:11:46 AM

The checksum appears to be always the same
I ran Virustotal and that came back clean. See screenshot.
I email you a link where you can download the file separately.

Did you get the file link I emailed you?

ddprat

Quote from: Mario on September 09, 2016, 08:45:26 AM
Quote from: hro on September 09, 2016, 01:38:57 AM
I did a few more tests:

This clearly indicates that your download is incomplete or corrupted.

I have exactly the same error message when i try to execute the install file.

I cannot get complete download of 6.22 or 6.20 exe file. The download finish without error but the file i get has never the full size as indicated on the dowload html page. I tried with Firefox (21 or 45) with/without McAfee activated, cleared the cache, rebooted my system, ... without any change.

I have no problems with others download: zip, exe or images are already fully downloaded.

Mario

I have downloaded the file successfully from Germany, the UK and, via proxy, from the US, Canada and even Australia. The file was always complete, checksum OK, InstallShield happy to install. I used Firefox, Chrome, Edge, IE and FF Mobile and Chrome mobile on Android for these tests. Looks good so far.

I've even downloaded the file over umpteen hops using the TOR network, also successful.
Since this code is the same used for the old download center and only the domain has changed (and a new SSL certifcate is used) I wonder why a few users have problems downloading a single 100 MB file.

There is nothing I can do, fix, change or modify on the server. It just streams down the file into the browser. And if the file download is incomplete, the browser is at least responsible for displaying an error message. If the server fails or the download aborts in the middle or something. It's not that only a few "end" bytes are missing, one user reported that the download starts somewhere in the middle, at 30 MB or so.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

HaWo

Leider kann ich das nicht in Englisch formulieren.

Bei mir ist der Download auch 2x unvollständig gewesen, hatte also nicht die vollen MB. Dabei ist mir ist aufgefallen, dass in Firefox der Downloadpfeil seine Farbe nicht ändert ( aber nur bei IMatch ). Somit weiß man nicht, ob der Download beendet ist oder noch läuft. Nun könnte es sein, dass manche ( und auch ich ) während des Downloads nachschauen, was los ist und den Download unbewusst abbrechen.

Ich habe beim 3. Mal den Download eine Weile 'orgeln' lassen und dann war alles ok.
Hans-Wolfgang

Mario

Quote from: hro on September 09, 2016, 08:57:37 AM
Did you get the file link I emailed you?

Yes. I've downloaded the file. It has only 91.521.024 bytes (instead of  92.812.720 bytes) and thus is missing some data. Incomplete. Hence no install or valid digital certificate.

The Apache server serving the licensed file (and the photools.com web site and this community) is using chunked transfer. This means it transmits data as soon at is ready, splitting large images or downloads into multiple parts. Much faster that way and standard these days. May this is what is causing your browser problems?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator