D500 and WICs

Started by Aubrey, September 13, 2016, 06:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

Is anybody using the Nikon D500?
If so which WIC codec is being used?
I'm having issues with my current version of Fastpictureviewer codec 3.8.0.96
Is there a more recent version?

When I check with IMatch WIC, Fastpicture viewer is installed for NEFs. (attached)

Aubrey

Mario

WIC cannot find a codec that handles the NEF format you use.

Did you try updating your FPV codecs to the latest version? Just use the download link again you have received on behalf of your purchase.
If this is the case, contact FPV support and provide them with a sample file.

When I recall correctly, the D500 is a fairly new model and so the proprietary file format used by that model may not be supported everywhere. Does Nikon not provide a WIC codec themselves? They should.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Downloaded and reinstalled FPV it is 3.8.0.96 same as I had!
I've sent a message to their support asking if they want my NEF file.

I'm travelling and using my laptop. I didn't notice the issue on my desktop machine, I thereore think that LR6 latest update has an updated codec for D500.

I'll use the Nikon version on my laptop until FPV can update.
Aubrey.

Mario

Adobe entirely works around the standard WIC features in Windows. They have both the money and the man power (and the lawyers!) to reverse-engineer, break and crack RAW formats and then use the results in their products.

I have given up reverse-engineering RAW formats years ago, after Nikon and others introduced encryption, e.g., for white balance or lens info. Reverse-engineering a file format in order to use it in software is legal. Unless you have to break encryption to do so. Which is the reason why Nikon and others started to encrypt metadata...

When Nikon first came up with this dirty trick, Adobe was angry and generated such a media buzz that Nikon had to give in - they supplied Adobe (!) with a special programming component that allowed Adobe to read Nikon white balance info from NEF files without breaking the encryption. Adobe thus could read the info and stay legal. I don't know how many other companies were offered that component by Nikon - I never received it.

Which is why I've given up reverse-engineering RAW formats and only support RAW formats with a working WIC codec these days. I consider the camera vendors to be responsible for delivering fast, accurate and working WIC codecs for all their proprietary formats  - at no cost. I would never buy a camera from a vendor which does not deliver WIC codecs. They want my money, they have to support me.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Erik

Quote from: Aubrey on September 13, 2016, 07:41:57 PM
Downloaded and reinstalled FPV it is 3.8.0.96 same as I had!
I've sent a message to their support asking if they want my NEF file.

I'm travelling and using my laptop. I didn't notice the issue on my desktop machine, I thereore think that LR6 latest update has an updated codec for D500.

I'll use the Nikon version on my laptop until FPV can update.
Aubrey.

I just posted elsewhere (Mario may want to move that thread if it belongs in this subforum)...

I had a problem with WIC related to the Windows 10 updates (the big anniversary update).  I had to uninstall and then reinstall the FPV codecs on my laptop to get everything back to normal (with reboots in between each step).  I needed a rescan in IMatch too just to get the thumbnails.

Aubrey

Thank you for your info. I had sorted out my issue. I reinstalled FPV and also updated LR6.

Anyway it's all working. For a few moments  I had forgotten to the full rescan of the folder which was not showing thumbnails!