Files by Date

Started by cthomas, September 14, 2016, 09:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomas

When I'm using the Files by Date category and I select all of the files a category and copy them to a category in the Universal Catalog. Will the files in the Files by Date category be deleted?
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

When you copy files from one category they will not be removed from the original category. 
You can move files from one category to another category using the drag and drop options or keyboard commands described in the category help topic.

Also note:

The "Files By Date" category is a data-driven category - it is fully dynamic.
You cannot add or remove files to/from a data-driven category. The category builds itself from the data in your database. It automatically updates when you add, remove or change files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cthomas

So if I use the Tieline instead of File by Date  would the files be automaticly be moved?
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

I don't follow. What do you want to do, exactly?

Do you want to somehow move files from one date to another?
In that case you are using a wrong approach. Select the files you want to "move" to another date and then set the new date in the Metadata Panel.

If you want to move files from one folder to another folder, or from one category to another category, use the move/copy commands described in the File Window help or under the "File Management" topic.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

Quote from: cthomas on September 15, 2016, 05:42:43 PM
So if I use the Tieline instead of File by Date  would the files be automaticly be moved?

One of the benefits of IMatch is that it allows you to keep all your images in once place (shown in the Media & Folders view), while also showing you other virtual 'views' of the images (e.g., showing those files organized by Category or the Timeline or by different Collections). Unless you want to physically move the files to a different location, the images can stay in one location while you benefit from different ways of looking at them.
John

sinus

Quote from: jch2103 on September 15, 2016, 08:21:45 PM
Quote from: cthomas on September 15, 2016, 05:42:43 PM

One of the benefits of IMatch is that it allows you to keep all your images in once place (shown in the Media & Folders view), while also showing you other virtual 'views' of the images (e.g., showing those files organized by Category or the Timeline or by different Collections). Unless you want to physically move the files to a different location, the images can stay in one location while you benefit from different ways of looking at them.

exactly  :D
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on September 15, 2016, 05:56:08 PM
I don't follow. What do you want to do, exactly?

I want copy my images from: D:\images to my Database 5 in H:\IMatch 5 database after my images are here. I want make a calander catalog with year, month and day categories. I then want to move them to categories in my Universal Catalog and or some other Catalog.

Do you want to somehow move files from one date to another?
In that case you are using a wrong approach. Select the files you want to "move" to another date and then set the new date in the Metadata Panel.

If you want to move files from one folder to another folder, or from one category to another category, use the move/copy commands described in the File Window help or under the "File Management" topic.

From  IMatch 3:

I was trying to  use  Claudermilk's and Solenostomu's way here.

Originally Posted By: claudermilk and Solenostomus

I feel your pain, I was there several months ago. Here is what I did to help move the project along:

1) I stored my photos in a date-based directory structure. What I use, for example for something taken today would be: C:\Photography\2006\200601\20060130-Photo Shoot.

2) I set up a calendar category tree of Year.Month. So the intial categorization was easy, simply select the images in each shoot and assign them all to the approrpiate Year.Month category (e.g., 2006.01-January).

3) From there I could take the images in one-month bites.

As you get into your project you will start to see which splashers you can generate to accelerate things. For each groups of images, I would try and start with the most general categories and assigm them to all images possible in the month, then start breaking down to smaller and smaller chunks. Eventually I would end up with a small handfull or individual images to assign specific peopls categories to.

I also set up several variations of the @Unassigned formula to narrow down groups of categories I wanted to ensure I got (i.e., no calendar assignement, no keywords assigned, etc.).

The biggest help was the calendar, as it allowed me to break the hugh project down to manageable groups & be able to tackle one small part each session. As I completed a month, I would color code it so I had instan feedback on what I had finished.

solenostomus Offline
Enthusiast

Apart from the Universal Catalog I have a category "Workflow"
below that I have several child categories with formulas.
Another top level category is "Fully classified" - an image is assigned to this category when I am done categorizing it.
In the one-click sidebar I have configured a button for "Fully classified" in the Assign-section.

Back to the workflow categories and their formulas -
"Not in the Universal Catalog" : "@All" NOT "Fully Classified" NOT "Universal Catalog"

"Partially categorized" : "@All" NOT "Fully Classified" AND "Universal Catalog"

"Not categorized" : "@All" NOT "Fully Classified"

Now I open the "Not categorized" category and sort by date. I select the first image, press Ctrl-Alt-A to open the assignment window.
I click all the categories that apply to the image and press the short-cut button in the one-click sidebar. The image gets assigned to "Full categorized" and thereby disappears from the "Not categorized" view. The next image gets its turn.

Once you learn the keyboard shortcuts its quite an automated process.

Good luck.
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State