What is IMatch doing with the harddisk when the database is on a RAM disk?

Started by MyMatch, September 22, 2016, 01:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyMatch

I noticed, that IMatch is faster, when the database is stored on a RAM disk.
Also, i disabled caching.

So far, so good.

Now, i was reading and writing in the forum for some time.
After that, i clicked on a category with 3 images in it.

And what happend?

IMatch needed to wake up the harddisk (i could hear that) and it took some second until i saw the images in the File Window!

But WHY did IMatch access the harddisk?

It felt like, that it needed to read the image thumbnails from the harddisk.
But they should be in the database which is on the RAM disk - and caching is disabled!
:-O

MyMatch

I changed the Cache folder also to be on the RAM disk, even if Caching is disabled.
But still, IMatch accesses the hard disk!
I am totally confused.

ubacher

My guess is that it checks the file system if there have been any changes.
If you use manual indexing it can then show you the blue "need updating" icon
beside the file or folder.

sinus

You are anxious, that IMach does something bad for your files, deletes them, changes them or whatever.

Hm, I wonder, how many files you are handling with IMatch and what you like to to with IMatch.
A bit more information about your general wishes and workflow would help us  to help you, I think.  ;D
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

QuoteAlso, i disabled caching.

You disabled caching where and for what? By disabling the IMatch image cache you are ruining performance.

QuoteBut still, IMatch accesses the hard disk!

Of course. IMatch polls the file system for information regularly, to check for new, updated or removed files. To check if folders or files are off-line. IMatch also reacts on Windows file system messages and system broadcast messages and may use Windows functions for that which then in turn use file system functions which may wake up disks.

Looking at all your posts from today I think that you are making your life a lot more complicated than necessary.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

MyMatch

Quote from: sinus on September 22, 2016, 08:30:03 AM
A bit more information about your general wishes and workflow would help us  to help you, I think.  ;D

I will write something up!
;-)

MyMatch

Quote from: Mario on September 22, 2016, 12:03:40 PM
QuoteAlso, i disabled caching.

You disabled caching where and for what? By disabling the IMatch image cache you are ruining performance.

QuoteBut still, IMatch accesses the hard disk!

Noooo ;-)
I am improving performance greatly.

For me, there is no need for cache files - their creation and use just costs time, CPU and space.

When i currently work with the database, i am fully happy with the thumbnails - and hoped that this also means that the disk will not be access anymore. It shall sleep many hours instead.

Explanation:
Currently, i am updating my main image database with nearly 400000 images. I just want to add any and all folders to some categories for further sorting and later rating. That means, i access all folders and have a look at all ALL images (just thumbnails) on ALL disks - and sure i don´t want for all of them cache files to be created! For this long, long work, IMatch should never reach to the disks - all in need for this step is contained in the database!

I even thought about renaming my top-folder - so that IMatch thinks the files to be offline. Would be the best.

But even better would be a configuration where IMatch just don´t access the disks.

When i *access* files, i currently need to use FastStone ImageViewer (for watching images) and FastPicture Viewer (for rating images) - even more reasons to not create any IMatch caches at all.

Where? Preferences / Cache / Working Mode = Off

I noticed, that IMatch still creates cached images from time to time - i think that may be from RAW files.

Of course. IMatch polls the file system for information regularly, to check for new, updated or removed files. To check if folders or files are off-line. IMatch also reacts on Windows file system messages and system broadcast messages and may use Windows functions for that which then in turn use file system functions which may wake up disks.

Can that not be disabled somehow? Please see my explanation above.

For me it would suffice to check those things, when i explicitely rescan or add a folder.

I already disabled background indexing, Metadata Write-back, File Relations updates and data-driven category updates.

Looking at all your posts from today I think that you are making your life a lot more complicated than necessary.

I just try to use a tool for my needs and not just use the tool as it is.

But you are right - from this and the other postings, it seems that i should try to explain this a bit more.

I will try and write something up!

Mario

When you use the default "on-demand" setting, IMatch creates cache images when the file is first viewed in the Quick View Panel, the Viewer or the Slide Show. When you disable caching, IMatch does the same, but deletes the cache image when the database is closed. I don'' see a performance gain here...and a loss even when you look at the same file in the next session and IMatch has to create the cache image again.

There is no feature to prevent IMatch from "accessing the disk". What a peculiar idea.
IMatch needs to know what happens int he file system. It users hundreds of Windows functions, and any of these could cause some disk access, even if IMatch does not directly cause this.

So, I doubt that such a thing would even be possible. And me spending weeks figuring this out and then trying to implement a "do not access disk" solution would be a waste of time for 99.999% of all users, who don't need this. Or who don't even bother.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

MyMatch

As i said, i will try to write down my reasoning, wishes and idea - just to explain them a bit more clear.

Normally, i always write in a hurry amd am just too fast.

But as i already tried to explain above:

I am currently watching ALL folders.

Just to sort them into one or more categories about the type of content (family, shooting, internet, job, ... and so on). I will split them later physically to different disks to be able to give them away - without mixing up "wrong types".

There would be no reason to access the files on disk for this - everything i need is in the database already.
The harddisk could sleep ... and it would better if it could.
I am disturbed by my CPU or my harddisk having stress for things that should not bother them ;-)

For me, the situation would be same with all images offlines.
I can just simulate this with renaming folders.
Then, the harddisk can sleep and i am not disturbed with it working constantly.
I will try that ;-)

Mario

QuoteThen, the harddisk can sleep and i am not disturbed with it working constantly.

Modern disks are nearly noiseless. And SSD disks are totally noiseless.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

MyMatch

My Hitachi, Western Digital, Seagate are surely not noiseless ;-)
The newest is a Seage Archive 8 TB, that also makes noise.
You can clearly hear when they wakeup and moved the heads around.
And i dont like when they do that without a real need.
Anyway ...

And the CPU can i hear because of the CPU fan usage ...