Database Backup

Started by Darius1968, September 29, 2016, 10:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

I read in this forum, of Macrium Reflect being very useful in making backups of IMatch databases.  Do I have to use a 3rd-party product to facilitate an IMatch database backup, or is the "Pack & Go" utility within IMatch itself sufficient for this?  Can someone please get me on track and educated about backing up ma database?  Thanks! 

Mario

Pack & Go is a software that has been designed to make it easier to move IMatch databases, settings and stuff between multiple computers (see: Traveling with IMatch in the help for more info). It can be used as a poor mans backup tool for IMatch-only data.

If you still work without a proper backup system in place, please look NOW for some solutions. Backing up IMatch data alone will not help when you disk dies and you loose all your settings, applications, installed software, emails and whatnot.

And if you have a proper backup system in place and you backup your system at least daily, your IMatch database and settings will be already part of your backup.

Reflect is just one of the possibilites, TrueImage, Windows built-in backup etc. are alternatives.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

Quote from: Mario on September 29, 2016, 11:50:47 PM
Pack & Go is a software that has been designed to make it easier to move IMatch databases, settings and stuff between multiple computers (see: Traveling with IMatch in the help for more info). It can be used as a poor mans backup tool for IMatch-only data.

But if you do, be sure the Pack & Go backup is saved in a safe place, e.g., a separate backup drive, etc.

Mario's advice about a proper backup system is very sound. I happen to be currently using the free version of Reflect, although I'm considering upgrading to gain a few more bells and whistles. As Mario says, there are a number of other alternatives, both paid and free.
John

Mario

I used TrueImage before (for many years) but it did not work reliably on Windows 10 and my new PC. This is why I tried Reflect and was very satisfied.
Reflect has saved my butt two times already in the past 12 months.
I do monthly, weekly and daily backups with it (imaging) on external 2.5" disks.
Plus additional backups of extra important and frequently changing data (as file-based backups) several times a day into my cloud storage.
Worked super-duper so far.

And yes, I have restored entire disks, booted from the bootable USB stick Macrium creates for disaster recovery and restored individual files on many occasions.
Never trust your backup until you could successfully restore it  ;)

Which is, by the way, what the Verify command in IMatch Pack & Go does...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

Okay, so, I installed Macrium Reflect (free edition).  It had me create a rescue DVD.  However, this can't be any more than 3GB, so how would this rescue me if my hard drive(s) died? 

jch2103

It should let you boot from the DVD to allow restoring your (separate) backup to a new drive. Of course your backup needs to be on separate media from your (dead) hard drive.
John

hro

Macrium has a manual,  helpfiles and a very active forum.  One would have to read the manual to understand what Macrium is and does,  in the same way one would need to study the Imatch helpfile.

The rescue DVD is one part of the Macrium recovery solution that allows you to boot up our PC if your system disk fails.  It is not a backup of your data whatsoever.

This forum here can share tips and experiences with other users which I find is a great resource. It is not meant to train users who do not want to read manuals.  You are asking a  bit  too much.

Darius1968

I don't know where your get, Hartmut, that I'm not willing to read a manual.  This is just one area I've never had any experience with, and I'm trying to find starting points, where to start from for a specific topic I'm trying to address. 

Mario

The idea is that the recovery CD / USB Stick allows you to boot your computer.
This is required e.g. when the main disk in your PC died and you cannot boot into Windows anymore.

The recovery version of Reflect can then access the disk in your computer, USB disks and so on.
It is important of course that your backups are on a separate disk. External USB disk or similar.

After replacing the defective disk in your PC, you restore it from the backup disk, bringing Windows all all else back.

I had to do this twice, and it always worked like a charm.
The first time the boot disk in my PC failed. I replaced it with a new one, booted Reflect Recovery and restored the C: disk from the backup on the external USB disk.
The second time I used this to replace a normal disk with an SSD.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator