Photo mechanic and orientation

Started by Roadrunner, October 06, 2016, 06:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadrunner

Hi, I'm new to Imatch and I have 2 questions.

I use Photo Mechanic for ingesting, sorting and edit IPTC in my workflow. When I import inte IMatch the orientation is horisontal on all, but Exif shows "Rotate 270 CW". I tested to import without usin Photo Mechanic and the it will be fine.
Are there any settings I have to do. I really like Photo Mechanic for Ingest and browse all photos after a photo shoot. I use Canon RAW-files .CR2

Second question is when I import old .crw-files I got 2 thumbnails (both .crw and .thm). In Preference I have set File Relations to use crw and cr2 Buddy-files. How do I get rid of the thumbnail for buddy-file .thm?

/Ulf

Mario

1. Is it possible that PM rotates the image data but does not correct the EXIF orientation? I seem to recall something.
For one image, set the EXIF orientation to neutral under Commands > Image. If this works, PM has rotated the image data but not corrected the EXIF orientation.

2. THM files are stored alongside CRW files in your folders. The THM files were used to allow the camera a quick preview on the backside monitor, an sometimes the CRW file held legacy IPTC metadata that could not be written to the CRW file. The THM is a JPEG file and hence when you don't exclude the THM file format under Edit > Preferences > File Format, both will show up in your database.

Type THM into the index tab in the IMatch Help System to find more information for this very specific file type. And especially about how IMatch deals with the odd ways of Canon to store IPTC data in THM files. It's a real nuisance but IMatch deals with it - for the benefit of its users.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Roadrunner

For the orientation it did not do the trick. Still horisontal. But if I switch Exif again to Rotate 270 CW in Command/Image, then it appears to be correct. If I look at the other photos showing wrong orientation the Exif info is the same, so maybe there is something wrong with the character for line ending? Just a thought. If I look in PM's setting there is a setting for Line ending and it's set to CR which is recommended. The other choises are LF and CR/LF.   

Mario

Line endings have nothing to do with the EXiF orientation.
If the EXIF orientation says "Rotate by 270° CW", IMatch does exactly that. If the image data produced by PM does not match the EXIF orientation, there is no way for IMatch to tell.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Roadrunner

Thanks Mario,

I have done some settings in PM so the RAW files never will be edited by PM, just XMP. My mistake.
Now orientation works fine.