Problems with cache location since latest update

Started by DavidOfMA, October 14, 2016, 02:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidOfMA

Lately, disk space was rapidly being consumed on my system drive, and I traced it to IMatch somehow relocating its preview cache to that drive, although it has long been established on my fastest, largest drive instead. On my C: drive there is now a 3GB cache called previewcache in ProgramData, and on my F: drive the 25GB original cache, used by all previous versions, is still there. How can I get IMatch to store all the cache files in the same place, on the F: drive, like it did before the most recent update? I changed the location in the Cache setting to the original cache drive, but IMatch did not move the files, just created some empty subfolders.

Thanks,
David

Mario

The cache setting is stored in a per-computer base since the 5.7.2 update (See release notes).

This allows users to set a different cache location for each computer on which they use their database.
By default, when no per-computer cache location is found (e.g. when running the 5.7.2 for the first time) the per-computer cache location is filled from whatever cache location was configured for the database. This is usually an automatic process and the user does not need to interfere.

Does IMatch show the correct drive under Edit > Preferences > Cache? Are the settings you make saved?
So far there were no problem reports so this is puzzling me.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DavidOfMA

When I checked the Preferences >Cache setting, it had changed from my original location on the F: drive to C:\ProgramData\previewcache. 3.2GB of new cache images had been created there, which is why my system drive was rapidly being consumed. I manually relocated the cache to where I had it before, on drive F:, and have since deleted the cache on the C: drive. This original resetting of the cache location happened without my knowledge or intervention.

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DavidOfMA

Yes, it seems to stick now. Stuck through one close/open cycle, anyway.

UPDATE: Checked again after scanning and viewing some files. The re-established F: location is sticking. IMatch recreated the previewcache folder in ProgramData and put some empty folders in it. However, it seems to be using the folder I intend it to use.