Timaline

Started by cthomas, October 14, 2016, 08:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomas

I'M using the Timeline. Ounce I categorize and empty the Year> month> and day. How can I mark these so I will know they are empty and I can move on to the next Year?
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

I don't understand.
The timeline has no categories.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

Quote from: cthomas on October 14, 2016, 08:16:25 PM
I'M using the Timeline. Ounce I categorize and empty the Year> month> and day. How can I mark these so I will know they are empty and I can move on to the next Year?

You'll need to explain what you're trying to do in more detail. The Timeline View is based on the dates of the images in your collection; consequently, as long as images have dates they'll be displayed in the Timeline view. Unless you delete all the dates in your images (not recommended!), they'll always be in the Timeline.

It sounds like you're working to categorize your images, based on a date-by-date method (e.g., all images in a particular year, then another year, etc.). How are your images organized on your computer? By date? By project? Etc.? However they're organized, you can go through and update/categorize your images based on that organization (e.g., if organized by date, you can go through the folder chronologically; if organized by project you can go through the projects in alphabetical or numerical order, etc.

John

Mario

If you just want to somehow 'mark' files you have not yet processed, there are several ways.

1.  You could add each unprocessed file in one of the collections (bookmark, pin, dot etc.). When you are finished with a file, remove the file from the collection.
Collections are visible in the file window so you always know if a file needs to be processed.

2.  The special Unassigned Files category shows all files which have not yet been directly assigned to a category.
If you select a node in the timeline (e.g., all files from 2016) and use the filter panel to filter for files in this category, you see only files you have not yet assigned to a category.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cthomas

Quote from: cthomas on October 14, 2016, 08:16:25 PM

Let me try it again. In the Timeline at the top in the year 1996 in the month of June I select the one image. I then go to the Universal Catalog and make a A New Child Category namened Greek Doc and select it I then go to the month of May and select the two images in May  I then go to the Universal Catalog and I then select the Greek Doc catageory. I now should have four images in the Greek Doc category.

Now how can I look back in these cstegories and see they have been processed.
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

jch2103

Go to the Categories tab (upper left, next to Timeline). You should see all images that are now in the Greek Doc category.

Is that what you were looking for?
John

Mario

In your screen shot you are working in the Timeline View.
You are using the Category Panel (!) to assign files you select in the timeline to one or more categories.

To see which files are in your categories, switch to the Category View. Then click on the category you want to review.

The Category Panel is only used to assign or un-assign files. It cannot show you the files in these categories (only how many files are in each category).

To see all categories for one or more selected files (in any View) select the files in the file window, and then click on the "Current" tab in the Category Panel.

As a visual clue that you have assigned a file to a certain category, or an entire hierarchy, I suggest you use color-coding.

When you color-code the category hierarchy (e.g. Greek Doc) (make it red) all images in that category will show a red category bar under the thumbnail.

See the IMatch help on color-coding for details, and this know-how article: Use Visual Clues to Improve Your Workflow in the IMatch Knowledge Base.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator