My Filter Panel confusion

Started by clpratt, October 24, 2016, 11:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clpratt

I open the Filter Panel F9, L.
I see the Filter Manager. I click the Filter Manager dropdown and a list of checkboxes appears with a "Filter Panel" check box at the top. Apparently this Filter Panel checkbox has nothing to do with enabling the Filter Panel (as the filter Panel has just been opened for use). The Filter Panel checkbox name is actually misleading as it actually refers to the so called active filters at the bottom of the panel. At the moment these additional filters at the bottom are described in the Filters help page as active filters but I find the naming of the bottom filters as "active filters" is misleading as they are not necessarily active until selected. I think they should be renamed Adjustable or Manual filters.
I would make a suggestion to initially see 2 dropdown menus, one titled Stored Filters followed by a second dropdown menu to show the 1 to 19 additional Adjustable/Manual filters. By opening both dropdowns one could see a complete list of applied filters in one column if required. When the initial 2 dropdown menus are collapsed a master checkbox at the top of each could enable/disable each type of filter i.e. Stored, Manual.
I would be interested to see what others think, I find the filter panel layout confusing in its present form but maybe it's just me?

sinus

Quote from: clpratt on October 24, 2016, 11:30:30 AM
I would be interested to see what others think, I find the filter panel layout confusing in its present form but maybe it's just me?

To be honest:

I think the same, the filter panel is confusing for me. Not clear. I think often, is it on, off? What is on, off and so on.

But the problem is, I can critisise, this is easy  ;D ... but I do not know, how the filter panel could be more clear.
Hence I have liked your posting with the idea, that, if enough likes, Mario does have a look again.  8)
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

DigPeter

After first use the filter panel layout is clear.  The upper section (stored filters) has to be open in order to activate the lower section "manual" filters, so I cannot see what advantage would be gained by this suggestion.

Jingo

I'm used to it now that I've used it a bit... the only change I would like to see implemented is that the AUTO filter on/off checkbox setting remain persistent between sessions.  For example, I often use the filter to only show JPG's or video files... but don't leave the Auto on so the filter only works when I manually click the "apply the filter" button.  However, if the filter panel is open when you close the program - the next time you open it - the AUTO filter checkbox comes right back on even though it was off when you existed the program.  Would love the toggle to remember its last setting - even if that option as only available if you have the panel stored in an active Workspace...