Missing a feature that was in 3.6

Started by Richard, August 12, 2013, 11:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

In 3.6 my procedure was to add all images to Who, What, When, Why, and Where. I would then move images from the parent to a child to obtain greater detail. In 3.6 I would set category properties to "Only return images assigned to this category, don't include images from child categories". Thus as I moved images to child categories, the parent category would no longer show the images moved. In IMatch 5 I can remove images shown in one of the Ws but once they are assigned to a child of say "What" they can no longer be eliminated from that child as I assign them to a child of that child.

Am I missing the way to set category properties to "Only return images assigned to this category" or doesn't it exist?

JohnZeman

Howdy Richard,

It's there in the category properties box called Direct Assignments only.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Richard

Hi John,

I misinterpreted the meaning of Direct Assignments only. I just changed mine to Yes and it seems to do what I wanted. Thank you.

Richard

It is a good thing I am not allergic to having egg on my face. I went back and re-read the Help topic.

QuoteDirect assignments only   If this option is enabled, the category ignores files in child categories. Usually a category virtually contains all files directly assigned and all files in its child categories. This option changes this behavior. 

It says it plainly yet I missed the meaning when I read it.  :-[

JohnZeman

You don't need to feel like the Lone Ranger Richard, the same thing happened to me last week and no doubt it will soon happen to me again. :o

Richard

I will pass it off as being caused by Old Timers disease.  ;)

Mario

QuoteIt says it plainly yet I missed the meaning when I read it.

It's pretty hard to explain things in a way which make them clear to every user. Different users have different levels of understanding - what's immediately clear to one user is hard to grasp for another person. And this can reverse quickly with the next help topic.

As I always say, I'm spoiled. When you have developed something, you usually understand it on a level that makes everything easy. Not that I don't need to consult the IMatch help myself from time to time, especially when I did not use a feature for a couple of months. Or when users have detail questions which I cannot answer directly.

That's why I've added the Send Feedback link at the bottom of each help topic. Users can (and do!) send me feedback about typos, incomprehensible or plain wrong info in the help. Currently I have 74 feedback emails to process.

If you have a suggestion on how to rephrase this, let me know. Maybe something plain like "Enable this if you want to see which files are in this category only"? But wait, this could be misinterpreted as "Show only files assigned to this category, but not any other category".... Sigh.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Richard

QuoteIf you have a suggestion on how to rephrase this

I certainly don't have a suggestion on how to rephrase it or I would send another Feedback. IMO, says it plainly. It is just that I had my mind on something else when I read it.

I will send related feedback but it has nothing to do with rephrasing what is there.