Option to have search bar always visible in categories panel

Started by Carlo Didier, August 10, 2014, 11:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Didier

I'd like to have an option to have the search bar always visible in categorie assignment panel by default, with the focus automatically on the search field.
This would greatly accelerate category assignments for categories that are not in my favourites list(s).

Mario

Let's see how many votes this gets...
IMatch has too many options already.

And when I add an option to turn the search bar on for you, other users will want the same for the filter bar. And then the toolbar becomes to wide and wraps for users who use larger or big toollbar icons for accessibility or on high-res screens and so on. There is always much more involved ...

Do you use the feature to add separate sections of your category tree as tabs into the Category Panel. Avoids a lot of searching and filtering...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on August 10, 2014, 02:43:02 PMDo you use the feature to add separate sections of your category tree as tabs into the Category Panel. Avoids a lot of searching and filtering...

I do, but this (with my other feature request to exclude @keywords from search) is useful for all the categories that are not used often enough to warrant inclusion in a specific short list and for sections that contain lots of sub-categories. I may have a tab for "Animals" which is huge and I don't want to create tabs for Dogs, Cats, Fish, Horses, etc, etc.

How about an automatic search if the category panel has the focus and you start typing?

anmue

Quote from: Mario on August 10, 2014, 02:43:02 PM

IMatch has too many options already.

And when I add an option to turn the search bar on for you, other users will want the same for the filter bar. And then the toolbar becomes to wide and wraps for users who use larger or big toollbar icons for accessibility or on high-res screens and so on. There is always much more involved ...

I have a simple solution for avoiding too many more option in the preferences or a cluttered toolbar:  Use a simple state button for switching the search bar.  It remains pressed as long the search bar is shown and is released if the search bar is hidden. The state should be saved between the sessions.

Just my 2 cents

Andreas.