Rotation, cropping and batch processing

Started by Aubrey, November 07, 2016, 10:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

I have a NEF file that was recorded in Portrait, EXIF shows "Rotate 270 CW" I run it through the batch processor using the attached presets, which as far as I am aware does not change the orientation. (see attached jpg and exported batch setup). In the "preview" before applying batch processing the orientation is portrait.
When I look at the file after batch processing it is now in Landscape format. i.e., it is rotated. Why is this happening? There must be an issue with my setup seeing as nobody else has reported it.

This issue has been going on for a long time, it's just I've never spent the time troubleshooting it, instead I just rotate the result.

Aubrey.

Mario

Do you copy EXIF or XMP metadata into the output file?

The Batch Processor loads the image in the proper orientation, then saves it "as-is". If you copy EXIF/XMP metadata, the wrong orientation may be copied from the source image. Is this the case?

I've made a check with a 270° image. The output image has the proper orientation and is also shown correctly in Windows 10 Photo Viewer, PS etc.
When I force the Batch Processor to copy EXIF / XMP metadata, the wrong orientation is copied (this is part of the EXIF/XMP data). In that case, programs which look at this data show the image in the wrong orientation.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Quote from: Mario on November 07, 2016, 01:18:48 PM
Do you copy EXIF or XMP metadata into the output file?

I have tried to stop the writing, but I cannot.

To elaborate:
Created new database (NEW) that contains a folder with only 1 original NEF and an associated cropped DNG (portrait cropped into landscape).
I have applied batch processor from within NEW and it works as it should. This has been set not to write metadata.

Imported  folder with files into MAIN database.
Application of batch processor results in rotated file.
Checked batch processor and removed ALL tick marks associated with "Copy Metadata:" and "Always write metadata into output file" (see batch.jpg).
After running batch there is still metadata being written (see metawritten.jpg)

I have gone back to metadata 2 preferences, in file format options I have ensured that JPG is set to use default settings, and the same for the DNG

How can the metadata be written to output file; note it is only happening in the main database?

By the way - I have also run Database diagnostics all is good.

Timeline for this is not urgent as I have workarounds, but it would be "nice" to get to the bottom of the issue.

Aubrey

Aubrey.

Mario

The file you are pointing at has a version icon.
This means that it received metadata from it's parent - that's the metadata that is written.

Can you try to batch process the file into a folder not indexed in IMatch, or at least in a folder that is not matched by a version rule you have setup?

Or, exclude rotation when propagating data from the master to versions.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Quote from: Mario on November 07, 2016, 06:09:34 PM
The file you are pointing at has a version icon.
This means that it received metadata from it's parent - that's the metadata that is written.

That makes sense, the NEW database did not have versioning setup that's why it worked - well spotted on catching the versioning. I had not thought about master propagating to versions. This explains the metadata being written.

Can you try to batch process the file into a folder not indexed in IMatch
When checking in folder not indexed orientation is correct and there is no metadata written to file. Again now makes sense.

Or, exclude rotation when propagating data from the master to versions.

I was propagating, "XMP all data" and "All metadata". I now appreciate the warning on selecting "All metadata"  :(

I now only have "XMP all data" and "Don't copy XMP Orientation"
The orientation is working as expected.

Thanks again for the great support, wonderful to have this resolved.

Aubrey.

Mario

Very good  :)

This was a bit of metadata mess and shooting your self into your own foot, all mixed up.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator