Folder Thumbnail view

Started by kylesk, November 17, 2016, 03:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kylesk

I am sure its probably possible in Imatch, but i just havnt figured it out yet. Am making sure i can get it set up the way i hope before i go forward with purchasing it.

If i click on a root folder or a parent collection.. I would like the sub folder\collection to show up as a block with a few thumbnails inside of it. Currently if i click on a high level folder and tell it to look multiple levels deep it just lists out everything it finds individually.

An example lets say i have a root folder titled Cars. Under that i have sub folders titled mustang, camaro, charger, etc. I would like to see sub folders in the main view with tiles inside of each that preview a few of the images inside of that folder.

Thanks

Mario

1. You can switch the Media & Folder tree to show a "folder thumbnails" instead of the folder icon. Gear button in the toolbar above the tree.
2. The folder tooltips show the first 12 thumbnails in the folder. Just hover the mouse cursor over a folder or category.
3. you can switch the file window to hierarchical view mode (button in the file window toolbar) to show the contents of one, two or all levels of sub-folders / child categories.

There is no feature which somehow blends in "blocks of images" in the Media & Folders View tree or anything like that. I would rate the usefulness of such a feature rather low. And super-hard to implement, because none of the built-in tree controls in Windows or the 3rd party UI toolkits support such a thing.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kylesk

After really going through the program.... Stacking : ) That is exactly what i was looking for.

sinus

Stacks are cool.
Declutters the window a lot.  ;D
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

Quote from: kylesk on November 18, 2016, 05:01:34 PM
After really going through the program.... Stacking : ) That is exactly what i was looking for.
Very good.
Did you find the Auto-Stacking command yet, which may allow you to automatically create stacks
There are also version stacks, which automatically stack files based on your file version rules - if you use those (master and version files, very useful for many users).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kylesk

Yep the auto stacking works great. I did find one thing i would like, but don't know if it can be done. Maybe it is in the settings or something.

If i click on a stack and right click > assign pin or add a keyword to it... it only does it to the stack top image. I know that i can expand the stack, select all, and then assign.. But is there a default setting somewhere that i can change so that when i click on a stack it actually has all of the images in that stack selected?

Thanks

Mario

IMatch commands always work on all selected files. That's one of the core principles of IMatch.

If you stack files, the files hidden in the stack are not loaded into the file window.
This means they cannot be selected and commands cannot be applied to them.

Mixing "commands work on all selected files" with "but sometimes they also work on files not even in the file window or the current scope" would be no good. Your stack may contain files form different folders or even disks. It may contain files assigned to different categories or photos taken years apart. Running a command accidentally on a stack which processes all these different files could be outright dangerous. Better to let the user see the files on which he operates.

If you remember <Shift>+<U> (Expand) and <Shift>+<H> (select all files in stack) your super-fast.
For version stacks, use <T> and <A>.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator