database setup as template

Started by aki-bs, December 09, 2016, 07:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aki-bs

I have worked on a small database to get my first experience with IMatch 5.7
I set up categories, metadata templates, favorites ....

Now I wanted to create a new empty database based on this setup, to convert my IMatch 3.5 database. But the empty database, is really empty. I can import the categories from the other database. But what happens with metadata templates, favorites...?

I tried also to empty the small database. There are no files in it, but I get the message that there are still Attributes in it. In which way I can clear all the content?

Mario

You don't need to use the database converter. You can just add all your files to your pre-built database.
Then export categories in IMatch 3 and re-import them into IMatch 5.
If you also have used properties in IMatch 3, you can import them into IMatch 5 as well, automatically converting them into Attributes.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

aki-bs

@Mario, in IM3 I had relations between the pictures and categories.
If I do it in the way you proposed, from where IM5 gets the information about the actual in IM3 existing relations between the added pictures and the imported categories?

Mario

There are no relations between images and categories.
You assign images to categories.

When you export your categories using the "with file links" option, IMatch 3 exports the category schema and also information about which files are assigned to them. IMatch 5 re-creates all categories and also assigns the files to these categories.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

aki-bs

Quote from: Mario on December 10, 2016, 05:59:28 PM
There are no relations between images and categories.
You assign images to categories.
Yes I know - I think I have used the wrong words  :( Sorry.

Quote from: Mario on December 10, 2016, 05:59:28 PM
When you export your categories using the "with file links" option, IMatch 3 exports the category schema and also information about which files are assigned to them. IMatch 5 re-creates all categories and also assigns the files to these categories.
If this works in this easy way, which additional advantages brings the converter?

Mario

QuoteIf this works in this easy way, which additional advantages brings the converter?

The converter does it all in one step.
Most users have successfully converted their IMatch 3 databases almost 3 years ago without any fuzz or problems or manual work.

Of course there are always a few users/databases which run into some issues, and for these cases, a manual conversion is the workable alternative.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator