reverse geocoding

Started by aki-bs, December 15, 2016, 08:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aki-bs

I wanted to use the reverse geocoding function in IMatch.
In the "choose location" window, the country was displayed in german. In the reverse geocoding window the country was displayed in english. How can I change this also to german?

Mario

I don't understand. The dialog shows the data as it comes back from your geo-coding service. Which geo-coding service are you using and which language have you set for the GPS options? Note that not all services respect the language.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

aki-bs

Quote from: Mario on December 15, 2016, 09:15:26 PM
I don't understand. The dialog shows the data as it comes back from your geo-coding service. Which geo-coding service are you using and which language have you set for the GPS options? Note that not all services respect the language.
I'm using "GeoNames.org" and I set the language to "de"

I found an other difference between Geosetter (I used until now) and IMatch. I used the same picture and the same geo-coding service and I get different results. (see attached pictures)

Mario

This is normal. IMatch may use a smaller radius or some other parameters when contacting GeoNames.org.
I don't try to mimic GeoSetter. Or do you say you get false data in IMatch? I use it myself and I never got wrong data from GeoNames.org.

What do you mean by wrong language? Which piece of information do you consider wrong? Maybe just add an X to your screen shots or just describe it in your text. This will save me some time trying to figure it out. I just don't see what you mean. And I've implemented support for GeoNames over two years ago and I'm not so deep in the details anymore.

If you think you get better results with GeoSetter, by all means, use it. IMatch picks up your changes as soon as GeoSetter has written them to the file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

aki-bs

Quote from: Mario on December 15, 2016, 10:09:02 PM
What do you mean by wrong language? Which piece of information do you consider wrong?
see my first post and the attached screenshot: "In the "choose location" window, the country was displayed in German. In the reverse geocoding window the country was displayed in English. How can I change this also to german? I prefer the country name in German.

in the meanwhile I have written a Metadata Template to change the country name from englisch (switzerland) to german (Schweiz) and also for the other countries.  :)

Mario

I see. The drop-downs in the dialog box use the standard ISO country names and ISO country codes, which are in English.

I have not localized the country name or created translations for each country.
If you want to help, open the file

C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\resources\imatch5res.xml

in an text editor. Search for <country_table> and translate each row by adding a new row in your preferred language.
For example:

<c a2="DE" nc="276" a3="DEU"><n xml:lang="en">Germany</n></c>

you can translate this by adding a new row below that, with

<c a2="DE" nc="276" a3="DEU"><n xml:lang="de">Deutschland</n></c>

If you have translated all country names, send me the updated file and I will merge it into the next release.

Or, file a feature request. When enough users 'Like' it I will consider doing this myself for one of the releases next year.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

aki-bs

I made an other test.
From Geosetter I got only one proposal and the correct one.
From Imatch I got 5 proposals and none of them ist correct. The red marked proposals are not possible, due to "4332 Stein" is the city in Switzerland on the other side of the river and not a German city as proposed. Somewhere there must be a mysterious mismatch. 

Quote from: Mario on December 16, 2016, 03:01:43 PM
If you want to help, open the file

C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\resources\imatch5res.xml

The sub-directory C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\resources doesn't exist on my PC. Maybe due the fact, that I'm working with the trial version in the moment?

Mario

The directory may be hidden in Windows Explorer
Open it by typing %PROGRAMDATA% in the Windows Explorer address bar. See IMatch help for details.

Quotedue to "4332 Stein" is the city in Switzerland on the other side of the river and not a German city as proposed.

IMatch does not make this information up. It shows the info exactly as returned by GeoNames.org.
IMatch does neither change the info nor the formatting.

Please open a bug report in the bug report board. Link back to this topic.

Attach a (small) JPEG file (zipped!) with the GPS coordinate you want to reverse geo-code.
Zipped to prevent the community software from stripping the embedded metadata.

I will send the GPS coordinates to GeoNames.org and see what it returns.

There is not much I can do 'wrong' here. I send the coordinate pair and a 'how many matches' number to return. Then IMatch displays the results GeoNames.org has returned.

Are you sure you are using GeoNames.org also in GeoSetter?
Do you get other results when you switch to Google Maps?

The implementation of the GeoNames.org interface is two years old and did not require many changes in all the time. I don't have the details in my head anymore so I cannot explain why GeoNames would return other suggestions to IMatch than it returns to GeoSetter. Maybe GeoSetter uses different parameters or something. I have no clue. I will look into this somewhen next year.

Do you use a 'open' account or do you have a GeoNames.org user name and password? Or do you use the professional, paid GeoNames.org configuration?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

aki-bs

Quote from: Mario on December 16, 2016, 07:39:39 PM
Are you sure you are using GeoNames.org also in GeoSetter?
Do you get other results when you switch to Google Maps?

The implementation of the GeoNames.org interface is two years old and did not require many changes in all the time. I don't have the details in my head anymore so I cannot explain why GeoNames would return other suggestions to IMatch than it returns to GeoSetter. Maybe GeoSetter uses different parameters or something. I have no clue. I will look into this somewhen next year.

Do you use a 'open' account or do you have a GeoNames.org user name and password? Or do you use the professional, paid GeoNames.org configuration?
I'm using GeoNames.org also in GeoSetter. I'm working with a GeNames.org user name.
With Google Maps I get the same results.