traveling / workspaces / configurations

Started by Joe Austin, December 18, 2016, 12:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Austin

I am beginning to experiment with moving my Imatch database between a base desktop computer and a field laptop.   I want to be able to create new workspaces on the laptop, and change existing ones, without seeing the modifications when I copy the database back to the desktop.

Looking at some old posts, it appears that workspaces are stored per computer.   Does that mean I am free to copy the Imatch5.pts file back to the desktop without seeing the workspace changes made on the laptop?

How about panel configurations?   Can I make panel configurations on the laptop without seeing them on the desktop after copying the database back?

Mario

Workspaces incorporate many machine-specific settings, like panel sizes in pixel, screen widths, resolution-depended configuration data and other settings which are computer-related. This is why they are always stored per user and per computer.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Joe Austin

How about panel configurations, are they stored in the same way?

Also,   I have two computers that I want to move the database between....

The user name in the desktop was 'aaaa', but I changed it to 'bbbb' in my windows profile.   The users folder however still shows 'aaaa'.

On the laptop the username I run Imatch under is 'cccc'.   I have set my application setting set to use the alias 'aaaa' and that seems to capture the settings used by 'aaaa' on the desktop.

But, when the database is copied back to the desktop computer, under what username will the laptop have stored any changes to workspaces and panel configurations?

If both are user and computer specific, then I guess it shouldn't matter as only the changes made by a specific user on a specific computer would be used... right?   But when I copied the database to the laptop, the workspaces defined on the desktop were available so that seems to contradict the computer/user based specificity.   What am I missing?

Mario

I'm confused.

IMatch stores settings under the name under which you log into Windows. Unless you override this via the Alias option (rarely needed).

QuoteThe user name in the desktop was 'aaaa', but I changed it to 'bbbb' in my windows profile.   The users folder however still shows 'aaaa'.

That has nothing to with IMatch.
Please see the Microsoft documentation on the consequences and many pitfalls when renaming your user name.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Joe Austin

Lets start with a couple of the questions from my previous post....

Are panel configurations stored the same way as working spaces?

Is it the case that, if working spaces are computer/user specific, when a database is copied from one computer to another the working spaces available to the first computer/user should not be available to the second computer?

That is what I took from you ealier post, but it has not been my observation thus far.

Quote from: Mario on December 18, 2016, 04:13:32 PM

QuoteThe user name in the desktop was 'aaaa', but I changed it to 'bbbb' in my windows profile.   The users folder however still shows 'aaaa'.

That has nothing to with IMatch.
Please see the Microsoft documentation on the consequences and many pitfalls when renaming your user name.

I realize there are pitfalls.   My question was simply how does Imatch react to the fact that the name was changed.   Does it use the original name, like in the Windows registry, or does it use the name currently reflected at login.

Mario

QuoteAre panel configurations stored the same way as working spaces?

Panels are stored as part of a workspace.

Workspaces are not stored in the database, but in the settings database.
Workspaces are not database-specific but user and machine-specific.

See Traveling with IMatch in the help for more information about how you can move your settings between computers.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Joe Austin

Quote from: Mario on December 18, 2016, 05:58:21 PM
Workspaces are not database-specific but user and machine-specific.

See Traveling with IMatch in the help for more information about how you can move your settings between computers.

Yes, this is the idea that is prompting my questions.   

I have read Traveling with IMatch but I have not read anything that addresses the question of, in the event of a username which has been changed on a Windows machine, which username, the original (as still in the registry) or the changed (as seen at login), does Imatch store the new settings under when it records workspace and panel configuration changes ?

Mario

IMatch uses the user name returned my Windows when IMatch uses the GetCurrentUser API method. This is the name of the logged in Windows user.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Joe Austin

Thanks, I'll see if I can find out what name that API returns.

Mario

It's the name you log in with. Your Windows user account name.

Type

echo %username%

into a command prompt window if you are unsure.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Joe Austin

Thanks for the echo command.  It is as I suspected, the echo command returned the original name on my account with a changed name, not the name I see at login.  This makes sense since the registry still records the original name.