Basics

Started by HansEverts, August 18, 2013, 08:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HansEverts

IMatch 5 is an extremely powerful tool, and I hope to be on top of it at some point. At this point my questions are still rather basic. Sorry if they were already dealt with, but a search on the forum did not give a result and I can not find the answer in the manual.

1) how can I mark images with geo data when imported and how can I generally identify geo dated images?
2) even more basic, how can I write or edit a caption. The caption line in the metadata.is locked.

Thanks

Mario

1. I assume with mark you mean assigning a location to an image? Check out the Map Panel (<F9>,<M>)

2. There are several caption tags in IPTC, XMP and other metadata standards (about 20 or so). Which one do you mean?

Which Metadata Panel layout do you use? The Browser layout perhaps? This layout shows all metadata tags available, not all of them can be written. Some are locked because they are filled from other tags by way of propagation, e.g IPTC tags which are filled from XMP tags. When you move the mouse cursor on the lock icon, you get more info.

IMatch locks these tags to prevent accidental data loss. As a general rule, concentrate on editing XMP data only. IMatch will automatically copy/migrate XMP metadata into IPTC and EXIF when it writes back the data to the file.

Start at the Default layout which shows all standard metadata tags you may know from other software, and which are all editable.

[attachment deleted by admin]
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cytochrome

Under Tools there is an Caption editor, with many options.

With NEF and in-file writing enabled, what you write here goes to:

- XMP-dc Description
- IPTC-Caption Abstract
- Exif-ImageDescription

(as seen in the NEF with ExifToolGUI)

With other raw formats and settings it may vary. One has to experiment...

Francis

Mario

Using the default settings (MWG compliance) IMatch always mirrors

- XMP-dc Description

into

- IPTC-Caption Abstract
- Exif-ImageDescription

because this is how the mapping is defined by the Metadata Working Group. This is independent from the file format or the embedded/sidecar mode. Assuming that the output file format supports IPTC/EXIF data.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cytochrome

This is good to know, = the effect of writing anything to XMP-dc Description
will always produce the same result, whatever the file format and  specific metadata2 settings...

Is this true for other xmp fields? Or do we find this info in the Args files?

By the way, something (among many more) I don't understand: in xmp2exif.args there is:

-EXIF:all < XMP:all
-EXIF:ImageDescription < XMP-dc:Description
-EXIF:DateTimeOriginal < XMP-photoshop:DateCreated

Why is EXIF:all < XMP:all not enough (= why has -EXIF:ImageDescription < XMP-dc:Description to be explicitely declared?)

Francis

JohnZeman

Quote from: HansEverts on August 18, 2013, 08:45:20 AM
IMatch 5 is an extremely powerful tool, and I hope to be on top of it at some point. At this point my questions are still rather basic. Sorry if they were already dealt with, but a search on the forum did not give a result and I can not find the answer in the manual.

1) how can I mark images with geo data when imported and how can I generally identify geo dated images?
2) even more basic, how can I write or edit a caption. The caption line in the metadata.is locked.

Thanks

About a year ago or so I went around in circles for awhile trying to figure out which caption/description field to use and eventually settled on the

XMP::dc\description\Description\0

field which has worked quite well for me.  That's the field I use in my Caption Editor Script (https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=333.0) which might be what Francis was referring to when he mentioned looking under Tools since that's where I configured that script to show up.

To locate images with or without GPS coordinates I use a filter.  I think you could do it with a data-driven category as well but I prefer the filter because then by first displaying the range of images I want to check for GPS, I can limit the results to anything from all images in the database without GPS to just the images in one category or folder.

cytochrome

Quote from: JohnZeman on August 18, 2013, 03:19:45 PM
.........  That's the field I use in my Caption Editor Script (https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=333.0) which might be what Francis was referring to when he mentioned looking under Tools since that's where I configured that script to show up.

Yes, this is it!! I had already forgotten that it was your script :-[ :-[ since it appears under the Tool menu and integrates so well with IM5. Take this as a compliment!! and thanks for the script which is handy.

And note that IM copies it to IPTC and Exif anyway...

Francis

Mario

Quote from: cytochrome on August 18, 2013, 03:14:18 PM
By the way, something (among many more) I don't understand: in xmp2exif.args there is:

These ARGS files are shipped as part of ExifTool. They contain all sorts of ExifTool vodoo and I don't understand everything in them myself. I just stay on the safe side and let ExifTool and Phil do it. He knows best, and changes made by Adobe or the MWG are incorporated into these ARGS files by him. I always ship the newest set with IMatch.

If you have detail questions, the ExifTool user forum is a good place to learn and ask.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Ferdinand

If you're operating under MWG rules then you edit XMP fields, not IPTC.  IMHO the simplest approach is to use the standard composite fields, which will fill in the XMP field and then under MWG this will be propagated to the corresponding IPTC field.  In the case of caption I think it also propagates to the EXIF caption.

cytochrome

Quote from: Ferdinand on August 18, 2013, 05:03:59 PM
If you're operating under MWG rules then you edit XMP fields, not IPTC.  IMHO the simplest approach is to use the standard composite fields, which will fill in the XMP field and then under MWG this will be propagated to the corresponding IPTC field.  In the case of caption I think it also propagates to the EXIF caption.

This is what I see when looking at my NEF after writing to the xmp-dc field.

Meaning there is automatic caption writing to Exif. Which one may find annoying if one does not strip the exif from photos posted on photo-forums (so other people can see the camera settings).

Francis

HansEverts

Thanks for all the answers. It is reassuring that what I feared were rather simple questions, can still raise so much discussion.

With marking  the images I meant indexing. I use a blue pin for newly imported images. I would like to use another pin, or dot, or flag to indicate the image containing geocodes. In IMatch 3.6 I used a dynamic category with the line http://ns.adobe.com/exif/1.0/exif:GPSAltitudeRef.
Is there a way to customise the indexing options under the preferences?

For the caption I used in 3.6 the caption field under IPTC. Under XMP that field was defined as per the attached screenshot.

Cytochrome, where under tools do I find the caption editor?

BenAW

QuoteI would like to use another pin, or dot, or flag to indicate the image containing geocodes.
I simply use a filter for that. See attached screenshot.

If you use it often, just save it under a convenient name, like GeoTagged   8)

Once you have found the images you can assign pins, dots to your liking.

HansEverts

JohnZeman, your script runs fine. Thanks

BenAw, that works, and opened again a new world for me, thanks. But I would like to be able to identify geo coded images by a simple yes or no and with a pin, dot or flag on the thumbnail.

thrinn

Quote from: HansEverts on August 18, 2013, 07:48:38 PM
But I would like to be able to identify geo coded images by a simple yes or no and with a pin, dot or flag on the thumbnail.
Once you have a filter set up to show only geo coded images, you can simply select all (filtered) files in the file window and set e.g. the green pin to all of them at once. Not fully automatic, but easy enough to work with (for me, that is).

Regards,
Thorsten
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Mario

Quote from: HansEverts on August 18, 2013, 07:13:43 PM
containing geocodes. In IMatch 3.6 I used a dynamic category with the line http://ns.adobe.com/exif/1.0/exif:GPSAltitudeRef.

IMatch 3 has no means of automatically identifying files with GPS data. What exactly did you do in IMatch 3 with the data-driven category you cannot do in IMatch 5 as well?

GPSAltitudeRef  is not a good choice for a data-driven category. It has no value in most files.
I would use GPS Longitude Ref instead. Make sure you enable the "Use Other" option in your data-driven category as well.
This gives you three child categories:
North
South
Other

If you enable color-coding for the North and South, the file window displays that color for each file with GPS data.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jch2103

Mario -
I assume you meant GPS Latitude Ref, for North/South values (although GPS Longitude Ref is fine for East/West).
John

HansEverts

I used the altituderef because it only has 2 values: 0 for south and 1 for north. That prevented having as many values as geocoded images, assuming that no image is ever taken on exactly the same spot as another. I have not checked if all geocoded images had a value for altitude.
I will follow your suggestion and let you know the outcome.
Thanks

HansEverts

Yes great, I am getting there. I made a mistake in the previous message. Altituderef shows above or below see level.

Anyway, with LatitudeRef it works. Just 2 more questions: 1) where do I find Other under the data driven categry and 2) can I make the colour code into a collection?

Thanks so much again.

HansEverts

I found the 'other' Mario was referring to under Formatting. It works, so my geocoded images are now coloured. For others who want to use this, the colour code has to be applied at the level of the values (north and south) and not the level of the parent, because that colours all values, i.e. the whole database. The result is shown in the attachments.

Ferdinand

Quote from: cytochrome on August 18, 2013, 05:20:27 PM
Meaning there is automatic caption writing to Exif. Which one may find annoying if one does not strip the exif from photos posted on photo-forums (so other people can see the camera settings).

I know what you mean, and I think that there are other fields as well that are hard to clear.  I have this ExifTool batch on my desktop that I must have set up at some stage to clear certain hard-to-erase fields:

exiftool.exe -OwnerName= -ImageDescription= -Artist= -Copyright=  -overwrite_original -k

I haven't tried to see whether it's possible to do this inside IMatch 5.  Normally my problem is the opposite of this - I want maximum branding and ownership.    8)

But for most purposes, writing to either composite or XMP fields works best.

Mario

QuoteI haven't tried to see whether it's possible to do this inside IMatch 5.

If you use the Batch Processor to produce the images for upload, you have control over which metadata is copied to the output files.

A Metadata Template can be used to set or delete metadata tags.

Alternatively, you can strip metadata via the ExifTool Command Processor.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

BenAW

Quote from: HansEverts on August 19, 2013, 07:27:21 AM
I found the 'other' Mario was referring to under Formatting. It works, so my geocoded images are now coloured. For others who want to use this, the colour code has to be applied at the level of the values (north and south) and not the level of the parent, because that colours all values, i.e. the whole database. The result is shown in the attachments.
In this case the Other group is not needed imo.
It just shows the images that DON'T have a latitude ref.
If you disable "other" your category geocoded will only have images that ARE geocoded.
Now you can use a colour code for the main category if you like.
But having different colours for N and S is a nice touch.

Just make sure that all geotagged images DO have a Latitude ref, otherwise you'll miss those.
The safest bet is to use GPS Latitude or GPS Longitude. Those are always in a geotagged image.

Mario

QuoteJust make sure that all geotagged images DO have a Latitude ref, otherwise you'll miss those.

Other will catch those, and indicate them. That's why I suggested Other.

QuoteThe safest bet is to use GPS Latitude or GPS Longitude. Those are always in a geotagged image.

But these values produce a lot of child categories, if taken literally. If you use these tags I suggest you use the part of value in your data-driven category to minimize the number of child categories produced. Use only the first character (part of value: Yes, Start and Length: 1,1). This gives you a maximum of 10 child categories.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

BenAW

Quote from: Mario on August 19, 2013, 10:04:32 AM
QuoteJust make sure that all geotagged images DO have a Latitude ref, otherwise you'll miss those.

Other will catch those, and indicate them. That's why I suggested Other.
I this case (single level dd driven cat) "Other" catches ALL files without a Latitude Ref, mostly the ones that have no GPS info at all.

QuoteThe safest bet is to use GPS Latitude or GPS Longitude. Those are always in a geotagged image.

But these values produce a lot of child categories, if taken literally. If you use these tags I suggest you use the part of value in your data-driven category to minimize the number of child categories produced. Use only the first character (part of value: Yes, Start and Length: 1,1). This gives you a maximum of 10 child categories.
Good suggestion. Perhaps sometime something like "Files with Value" is usefull , like in the Filter Panel ( Value Filter)

Mario

That's automatic. Files without value will not be included in data-driven categories, unless you use Other.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

BenAW

Quote from: Mario on August 19, 2013, 03:24:17 PM
That's automatic. Files without value will not be included in data-driven categories, unless you use Other.
I was thinking aloud  :D
What I had in mind was a setting in the dd driven cat setup, that groups all matches into ONE child cat (or even into the main cat)
example: using the GPS Latitude variable creates under the dd cat a lot of child cats, each having perhaps one or a few images.
If I'm only interested in images that have latitude info, regardless of the value, this setting would group ALL images that qualify into ONE child cat with a user selectable name (or in the main cat perhaps ?)
Should seriously reduce the load on the dbase in some cases.

For latitude I can create the same effect using a Replace Mask like:   ^.*deg.*$,Latitude
All qualifying images will now be grouped into one child cat.

Mario

QuoteIf I'm only interested in images that have latitude info, regardless of the value, this setting would group ALL images that qualify into ONE child cat with a user selectable name (or in the main cat perhaps ?)

You can also try using a Filter Pattern, e.g.

.*,Has GPS Data

This will nicely fold all entries with a GPS Latitude (or Longitude) into one category with the name "Has GPS Data". All other entries will be suppressed unless you enable Other.

Hmm, IMatch 5 is grrrreat  :)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

BenAW

Quote from: Mario on August 19, 2013, 09:05:33 PM

.*,Has GPS Data

This will nicely fold all entries with a GPS Latitude (or Longitude) into one category with the name "Has GPS Data". All other entries will be suppressed unless you enable Other.
Sure you didn't mean Replace Mask?  A Filter Pattern will still create a lot of child cats?

jch2103

Quote from: BenAW on August 19, 2013, 11:44:55 PM
Quote from: Mario on August 19, 2013, 09:05:33 PM

.*,Has GPS Data

Sure you didn't mean Replace Mask?  A Filter Pattern will still create a lot of child cats?
Using Mario's suggestion of  Filter Pattern of '.*,Has GPS Data' gave me 0 results.
But using it as a Replace Mask gave me 'Has GPS DataHas GPS Data' (see screen shot). I don't understand why the duplication...

John

BenAW

Quote from: jch2103 on August 20, 2013, 12:55:10 AM
Using Mario's suggestion of  Filter Pattern of '.*,Has GPS Data' gave me 0 results.
But using it as a Replace Mask gave me 'Has GPS DataHas GPS Data' (see screen shot). I don't understand why the duplication...
A replace mask like ^.*.*$,Has GPS Data  gives the desired result, and SEEMS universally useable to group all child cats into one.

Mario

I meant replace mask and the pattern should include the ^ (missing from my above post). Correct is:

^.*,Has GPS Data
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

HansEverts

^.*,Has GPS Data  works fine. Thanks